Chapter 24: They are Always Fulfilled.

They are Always Fulfilled.

Dr. Johnson was pacing the hallway when Peter arrived. When the doctor saw him, his features relaxed and he gave a loud sigh.

"Thank goodness you're here Peter."

"What is it doctor?" Peter asked.

"Miranda's heart rate just dropped a fast amount. I'm... I'm not sure what's going on. She was fine half an hour ago, but in the last ten minutes..."

He cut himself off, rubbing his head in frustration.

"You should go in now."

Peter didn't hesitate, but immediately went through the door.

Miranda lay flat on the hospital bed. She was awake, and there was a small smile on her face.

"Hey Pete."

"Hey Miranda. What's going on?"

"I think that it's a bit obvious Peter," she replied, then gave a sharp cry. The monitor stopped beeping for a moment, then started again.

"I'll get Dr. Johnson," Peter said immediately, rushing to the door.

"Peter, it'll do no good."

"What do you mean it'll do no good."

"Because there is nothing more he can do for me."

Peter's hand was on the doorknob when he heard that. He knew that tone of voice. He turned back to her. She was still smiling, but it was a sad sort of smile.

"How long have you known?" Peter demanded.

Miranda hesitated.

"Miranda, how long have you known?"

"Since we last came back from Narnia."

"WHAT???"

Peter quickly muffled his shout.

"You've known for almost a year now?" Peter asked disbelievingly.

Miranda nodded.

"Why didn't you tell anybody? Your mom, Dr. Johnson, us..."

"My mom and Dr. Johnson would just reassure me that all hope was not lost, that they would find a cure, that there was some hope that I could get well again. But there was never any real hope."

"The first time we saw you again," Peter remembered, "Edmund told me that when he looked into your eyes, he saw no hope."

"They named him "the Just" for a good reason," Miranda laughed.

"It's not funny!" Peter said, quite loudly.

"What's not funny?"

"This whole thing. You've known this whole time and you didn't tell us?"

"Would you have really wanted to know?"

"Yes, I would have wanted to know."

"You see," Miranda explained, "This is the very reason I didn't tell you. You would get all bent out of shape and start yellling at everything and everyone. I didn't want anyone to know so that I could have a chance to live my life again."

Peter had opened his mouth to say something, but swiftly shut it.

"I wanted to live without worry or care Peter. I wanted my mom to keep her hope. I wanted you all to treat me like you did in Narnia, which you have. This has been one of the best years of my life, all because I told no one."