Chapter 6: The Day After. The Year Later.

The Day After. The Year Later.

Lynn Kellen arrived home the next morning, a small box in her pocket. She walked in the door, and put her purse on the kitchen counter.

At about that time, she saw a figure sitting on the living room couch. Warily, she stepped forward, but relaxed as she saw that it was her daughter. Sitting on her lap was an open Bible.

"Miranda, what are you doing up this early," Lynn said, glancing at the clock. The clock read 5 o'clock.

"I've actually been up all night mom," Miranda said, then looked up at her. Lynn had to keep herself from gasping. Miranda physically had not changed, but her eyes were much older than Lynn remembered.

"Miranda, do you have something to tell me?" Lynn asked.

"Yes mom," Miranda stopped and took a deep breath. "I talked with Pastor Richard last night, and I have accepted Christ.

"Oh, honey," Lynn cried, her eyes brimming with tears. She raced over to her daughter and wrapped her in her arms. "You have no idea how long your father and I prayed for this day."

Lynn felt the box in her pocket as she held her daughter close, but did not bother with it. It would wait until another time.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

One Year later

"You have your orders General," she heard the dark man say.

"Yes Lord Miraz," the General said.

She saw the General gather some men, and walk towards a room. They opened the door, and she saw a room with dark furniture and silk draperies. A falcon on a perch moved slightly as it watched the intruders enter the room. The group of men surrounded a bed in the middle of the room, the curtains drawn.

A great sense of dread suddenly filled her. The men shot darts from their cross bows, and the curtains were torn. She heard a slight cry out, and saw a small trickle of blood.

"No!"

Miranda bolted up, her face dripping with cold sweat. That dream; why would it not stop coming? For a week now she had dreamt that same dream, over and over again, always waking up with a sense of darkness.

"What is going on?" she asked herself.

She laid her head back on the pillow, trying hard to go back to sleep. But sleep refused to come. After much tossing and turning, Miranda finally got up from her bed, threw on some clothes, and left her room.

She found her mother in the living room, looking over stacks of paper.

"Miranda!" her mother exclaimed, "What are you doing up? It's one in the morning!"

"I know mom. I know. I just had a dream, and I can't go back to sleep. Do you mind if I go outside for a few minutes?"

Her mother looked at her with a suspicious look.

"It's not a boy mom, I promise. I only want to walk to the park. I just need some fresh air or something."

"Alright Miranda, just don't stay out too long. You know what the doctor said."

"Yes mom," Miranda sighed.

She opened the front door, and breathed in the fresh night air. It felt good to be outside. Something about it made her feel free once more, free to be herself. She walked across the street and into a small gated park. If it hadn't been right across the street, and a policeman wasn't always there, her mother would not have allowed her unsupervised.

Once she entered the gate, she began to run. Running made her feel strong again. She ran through grass, trees, and flowers. She ran until her sides ached. She could feel her heart pumping too fast, and she stopped, breathing slowly. Even then, she felt a slight pain in her chest, and knew that her heart had skipped another beat.

As she stood there, catching her breath, her thoughts were going everywhere. She recognized the feel and look of the place she was at in her dreams. She knew that it was Narnia. But what was going on? Who was the person in the bed that this Lord Miraz wanted to kill so badly?

When she had caught her breath, she noticed that she was in the very center of the park, where a lion statue stood. Miranda stared at the stone lion, proud and bold it stood. But as Miranda kept staring, the lion started changing. The proud face was replaced with a soft gentle one, full of kindness and understanding. The lion grew bigger, and the stone disappeared, to reveal a golden sheen. The eyes lost their glazy look, and put in their place were golden brown eyes, full of wisdom.

"Aslan?" Miranda whispered.

"Narnia needs you once more my child," he purred. "A king of Narnia will be crowned, and a nation will be defeated." After he spoke the words, he opened his mouth and breathed on her. Miranda suddenly could no longer see the great lion as a huge whirlwind seemed to surround her. Miranda closed her eyes and curled in a ball as the wind whipped against her.

Finally, the wind stopped, and Miranda opened her eyes. What she saw made her eyes widen with delight and joy. She was standing on the edge of a beach, looking up to what looked like old ruins. For a moment, she thought that it couldn't be what she thought it was, because there were no ruins. But as she walked around, she saw the place where the thrones once stood. She saw the angle of the great hall as it looked overseeing the sea. Seeing more and more things that looked familiar, she dared to whisper the name.

"Narnia."