Chapter 19: Reunited.

Reunited.

The hospital walls were white as ghosts. She could hear the steady beating of the monitor beside her. She could slowly feel her chest going up and down.

Miranda looked up to her mother's sad eyes. She could barely keep her own eyes open, let alone entirely register what had happened. But she did know one thing.

"Go on mom," she whispered. "You need this."

"Dear, I'm not leaving you here at the hospital alone."

"Mom," she continued, "I'm safer hear than anywhere else. You are exhausted, and what you need is a spiritual renewal. Mom, you need to go."

"Honey..."

"Mom, please. Do this for me. Please."

Her mother first looked down, then her gaze came back to meet her eyes.

"Then I'll go."

And Miranda smiled the first real smile that she had given in days.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Helen Pevensie had been in this church long enough to know every face. But this one was new.

Helen's eyes carefully watched a blonde haired lady with blue eyes as they sang and worshiped. Her eyes were closed as she sang the songs by heart, and Helen noticed a tear run down her cheek. Through the sermon, Helen didn't glance at the lady, her entire focus on the message. But when the reverend asked if anyone would like to pray with him, the lady stepped out of the aisle and went to him. He listened to her, and was nodding his head every few minutes. Then the two bowed their heads and prayed. The lady's shoulders were shaking.

After church was dismissed, the reverend came up to Helen.

"If I might have a word Mrs. Pevensie."

"Of course reverend."

The two walked a little to the side for privacy.

The reverend seemed a little agitated, and hesitated before speaking.

"You may have noticed a newer lady in our church. I prayed with her during the message."

"Yes reverend, I did."

"Good. Her name is Mrs. Lynn Kellen," he said. Then hesitated again.

"Mrs. Pevensie, I feel that you would be a good influence on her. Maybe able to bring her comfort."

"Why is that?" Helen asked, slightly confused.

The reverend rubbed his balding head with his hand and tried to grasp what to say.

"She just moved here from America, with her only child."

"Yes sir."

"Well, the reason they moved here was so that the child could get treatment."

"Treatment sir?"

"Yes, Mrs. Pevensie. A treatment." He paused for a moment. "She believes that her daughter is dying."

Helen felt as if an icy hand had clenched her heart as the reverend spoke of the second worst thing that could happen to her own children.

"Her husband died in the war, they are both here alone, and Mrs. Kellen is frightened, worried, and sad. If you could just speak to her, offer a hand in friendship, anything, I would greatly appreciate it."

Helen had only to think for a second, and that thought was was that she would want the same if she were in Mrs. Kellen's position.

"Yes. I will."