Chapter 25: No Need to Say Good-Bye.

No Need to Say Good-Bye.

It was not the thing they had expected to happen. It was the last thing on anyone's mind.

The second Edmund and Lucy entered the hospital, they had a feeling that something was wrong. Peter was sitting in one of the hospital chairs, a large box by his side. He didn't glance up when they came up.

"Well, what did Miranda want us for?" Lucy asked.

Peter looked up. His eyes were red, as if he had been crying.

"She wanted to see you both one last time," he managed to choke out.

Edmund froze.

"No. NO!" he shouted.

"It was only a few moments ago Ed. She told me to tell you that were the wisest king and greatest friend to her." Peter turned to Lucy. "And she instructed me to let you know that it was your valiance that made her courageous."

Tears streamed down both of their faces.

"Did she suffer?" Lucy asked between her sobs.

"She had some pain, but it wasn't bad," Peter said hoursely. "Her heart rate dropped too fast, and then it just kept slowing down."

At that moment, he broke down in tears. Edmund and Lucy wrapped their arms around him, and they stayed that way until Dr. Johnson needed to speak to them.

"I believe that you should call your parents right now," the doctor said, his own voice sounding very sad. "I think that they need to know."

"Yes," Edmund said. The doctor turned to leave, then looked back to them.

"I'm sorry that I could not do any more," he said. "I did the best that I could. But...."

"Say no more," Peter said. "We know that you did your best. But it couldn't be helped. She was leaving no matter what."

They quickly called their parents from a hospital phone. Mother, Father, and Susan were devastated. They talked for a long time and cried some more before they finally hung up and returned to the lobby.

Aunt Alberta and Eustace were waiting there. Dr. Johnson was speaking with their Aunt, explaining what this was all about.

"I'm sorry," Eustace whispered as the three came forward.

"Did you get a hold of your parents?" Dr. Johnson asked.

"Yes," Peter replied.

"Good. I'm afraid that we won't be able to wait until your parents get back before..."

"We already discussed it," Peter said. "We know that you need to get it done soon. If you can have it ready by tomorrow morning, we'll be around."

"It'll be ready," Dr. Johnson promised.

Normally, Aunt Alberta would have wanted to get back home as soon as possible, but for once, she complied with them all staying at the Pevensies home.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

"Miranda is in that box," Lucy thought as the coffin was lowered by two men, and the grave filled.

She held a white rose in her hand. Edmund was holding a rose of gold, and Peter was holding a red rose. Professor Kirke and Miss. Plummer stood behind them with Eustace in between the two.

After it was filled, a mark was placed up. Lucy glanced at the grave beside Miranda's. It was Mrs. Lynn Kellen's.

Finally, the men left, and they were alone.