Chapter 26: A Little Bit Longer.

A Little Bit Longer.

Her shoulders shook as she wept. Her dark auburn hair fell over her face, now streaked with tears. Her hands held the paper.

The crash happened at 1:02 this afternoon. Many of the people on the train were killed in the collision.

That was yesterday. Beneath those sentences was a list of those that had died in the crash. Susan's eyes were on a number of them.

Digory Kirke. Edmund Pevensie. Helen Pevensie. Jeffrey Pevensie. Lucy Pevensie. Peter Pevensie. Jill Pole. Polly Plummer. Eustace Scrubb.

Susan crumpled up the piece of paper and threw it across the room. All she wanted to do now was curl up and die. Yes, that sounded wonderful. Just curl up in a ball and die.

But something was wrong. Something didn't even feel right about that thought.

Her eyes went to the last thing that Peter had handed her. The Journal just lay there, still unopened. A fine layer of dust was on top of it. With reluctance, she reached for it.

Peter had said the last entry was for her, so it was there that she turned. The very first words caught her eye.

My dearest Lady Queen Susan the Gentle,

I write to you in the last moments of my life. At this moment, I am on my deathbed. And I think you should know this. I've known that I was dying since we last returned from Narnia.

Susan rolled her eyes and began to close it when her eyes caught the next sentence.

Please Susan, if you are reading this, please read what I have to say.

She reopened the Journal.

In the past year, nightmares have been plaguing me. Each one has shown the White Witch Jadis come after me, always trying to kill me. Tonight, I dreamed again. Jadis was after you. Behind her, I saw two armies fighting. On one side were ones that I knew; Onyx and Hunta and Orieus. On the other side were the White Witch's followers. You were in the very center of the battle, completely unaware of what was going on around you. And Jadis was winning the battle.

Susan, don't let that happen. There is still hope that she will not win in taking and destroying you. But that is up to you. And you have to be the one to fight back.

I know that you are fading. I have seen your face when we talk about home. I know that you are forgetting.

Susan, there is still time. But you have to find what you have lost. You have to reclaim what this world has taken from you. And you have to accept.

Why is it so hard for you to accept Jesus? Why could you trust Aslan but you can't trust him? Jesus is who Aslan is. They are the same Susan.

If you want to believe: If you want to confess your sins and ask forgiveness, it is not too late. It is never too late.

Narnia showed Aslan to you. We showed you Aslan through Jesus.

Now, it's your choice.

Miranda the Courageous, First Warrior of Narnia

Susan read that entry twice more. Every time she read it, she saw and understood a little bit more.

She reached over for the phone. She dialed the number.

"Hello."

"Hello Pastor. This is Susan Pevensie."