2. World of Darkness

*Sorry that this is a couple of hours late, I've been binge watching 'Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events' on Netflix! It's sooooo good!*

Whoo, chapter two, let's go!

Question of the Chapter: Who watch PLL? How full on is it getting guys!? I mean, seriously! (Don't comment any spoilers though, just in case others aren't up to date)

----------

"The following people are not immune. Newt ...."

The words play over and over in her head, like a broken record; she completely ignores the rest of the names, knowing she recognised none of them. Nothing matters at that exact moment; nothing but the fact that Newt is not immune. He is going to get the Flare. He is going to become a Crank.

He's going to die.

Lori feels her head become light, and she stumbles, collapsing to her knees as all her limbs become limp. She stares at the floor, not wanting to move, hoping that if she stood still, then so would time.
It didn't work.

"Tommy, slim yourself," she hears Newt say. Lori looks through her curtain of hair, to see that Thomas is leaning over, his hands on his knees, as if he is hyperventilating.

He snaps back into a vertical position, almost glaring at Newt as he sees his friend standing there with his arms crossed, trying to fake a smile. "Slim myself? That old shank just said you're not immune to the Flare." As Thomas speaks, Minho is suddenly beside Lori, helping her to her feet. She still feels queasy and faint after hearing the announcement, so Minho continues to keep an arm around her waist to hold her up. "How can you-"

Newt cuts him off before he can rant further, "I'm not worried about the bloody Flare, man. I never thought I'd still be alive at this buggin' point – and living hasn't exactly been so great anyway."
This comment causes Lori to break out of her stupor. What happened to making to memories? What happened to being together finally? And his life hasn't been that great? What about all his friends? What about us?

Thomas puts on the fakest of smiles, highly over-exaggerating as he does so. "If you're cool with slowly going crazy and wanting to eat small children, then I guess we won't cry for you."

"Good that," Newt replies as the creepy fake smile sliding off his lips.
His complete disregard of acknowledging what had just happened was the last straw in Lori's mind. She asks Minho to let her go, as kindly as she can whilst being pissed off, and he does without hesitation. She looks a Newt for the smallest second with eyes full of poison and spite, but one second was all she could manage; any longer and she would have burst in to tears. As she attempts to leave the room, Rat Man grabs her arm.

"No one leaves yet. Please rejoin the others. Now." Lori does as told, staying silent the whole time. Rat Man turns to address the whole group, "I wanted to get that out of the way. Mainly so I could tell you myself and remind you that the whole point of the operation has been to build toward a cure. Most of you are immune and in the early stages of the Flare, and I have every confidence that you'll be taken care of before it goes too far. But the Trials required your participation."

"And what if you don't figure it out?" Minho asks.

Rat Man doesn't bother to answer him though, which makes Lori doubt their confidence. He walks to the nearest bed, placing a hand upon the device hanging down from the roof of the 'operating' room. "This is something we're very proud of here – a feat of scientific and medical engineering. It's called a Retractor, and it will be performing this procedure. It'll be placed on your face – and I promise you'll still look just as pretty when everything is done. Small wires within the device will descend and enter your ear canals. From there they will remove the machinery in your brain. Our doctors and nurses will give you a sedative to calm your nerves and something to dull the discomfort."