27. Good That

The very last chapter, here we are, my lovelies!

----------

Once Thomas disappears through the Flat Trans, everyone waits silently. Lori looks too Minho, who doesn't seem to worried.

They've been through enough at this point, that Thomas not making it back after passing through a Flat Trans is the least of their worries.

A few moments pass, before Thomas finally re-materializes before them.

His face was split in a large grin, he didn't even stop to speak to them.

He runs back out to the room before the maintenance room.
"Come on!" He shouts to everyone not in the room with Minho, Clara and Lori. "Get everyone in here - it works! Hurry!"

Another ripple causes the metal racks to shakes, the explosions grower closer still.

"Hurry!" Thomas yells.

Teresa leads all of the Immunes into the room, beginning to filter them through the Flat Trans and to where ever it leads.

Within a minute, the room is completely packed with people eager to pass through to the paradise.

They are smiling, Thomas' optimism lifting their spirits majorly.

Lori and Minho had retreated back to the main room, not wanting to stand in the way of the Immunes.

It is important to them both that they save as many people as possible before they even dare think about themselves.

Thomas joins them, and they all form a small huddle.

Lori, Thomas, Minho, Clara, Brenda, Jorge, Teresa, Aris, Frypan, Gally, Sonya, and some other Group B girls - they are all still alive.

"They better be quick about it up there," Minho says. "The explosions are getting closer and closer."

Gally nods, "The whole place is gonna fall down."

Thomas is assessing the cracks in the wall and ceiling as he responds, "I know. I told them to hurry."

"We'll make it," Lori states, trying to sound optimistic. "How many times have we thought we weren't going to make it, and then we pull through? I'm telling you, we're going to be fine."

Thomas attempts an encouraging smile, "We'll all be out of here in a-"

But someone decides that Thomas doesn't get to finish his sentence.
"Well, what do we have here?" The call.

A ripple of shocked gasps travel through their huddle.

Lori feels her optimism sink when she turns to see Janson standing at the door to the maintenance room.

An entourage of guards follow him into the room, surrounding him closely.

Seven guards and the Rat Man against their group and the Immunes.

They have the upper hand.

For now.

Janson begins shouting at them, making sure that he is heard over the crowd. "Strange place to hide out when everything's about to come down!"

As if backing up his point, the room starts to rumble and bits of the room break off, smashing to the ground.

"You know what's here!" Thomas yells back at him, his voice full of anger. "It's too late - we're already going!"

In response, Janson pulls out the knife he had tried to kill Thomas with not that long ago. His entourage follow suit.
"But we can salvage a few. And it looks like we have the strongest and brightest right here in front of us. Even our Final Candidate, no less! The one we need most, yet who refuses to cooperate."