21. Soulless Eyes

So many throwbacks ahhh! But we're not done yet.

So this book is coming to a close very soon, and I just want to thank everyone that has actually stuck by and waited for each chapter.

I also want to thank those of you who saw this book, clicked it, and kept reading.

You're all awesome!

Fan, comment, vote, let me know what you're thinking!

----------

'Morning Greenie.'

Lori jumps at the sound of a person speaking, resulting in her accidentally tripping on a rock and falling down, yelping as she hit the ground.

'Didn't realize you scared so bloody easily Greenie.' She instantly recognized the voice, and looked up to see the blonde from the Gathering standing outside the Slammer door.

'That might be because you don't actually know me,' She said as she stands up and dusts herself off. 'And why do you keep calling me Greenie?'

'Because that's what we call the new shanks, Greenbean,' he laughed.

'No, I realized that. I mean, you know my name is Lori, so why do you feel the need to call me that?' She says, cocking her head slightly to the side.

He smiles and shrugs, 'I don't know. It's just what we do here. But if it bothers you so much, Lori, I'll stop.'

She smiles and nods a thanks. They stand in silence for a minute, before she finally speaks, 'So, what are you doin' here guy-whose-name-I-do-not-know?'

The blonde gives a small chuckle before replying, 'Name's Newt, Greeni- ah, Lori' he corrects himself.

+ + + + +

Someone tapped Lori on her shoulder, causing her to jump in fright. She turns to see Newt standing beside her grinning.

'Still scarin' nice and easy Lori?'

'You're hilarious, Newt.'

'You know you're jealous,' he laughs. She smirks and shakes her head.
'C'mon, Alby wants to talk to ya,' Newt chuckles. She nods and they walk towards the Homestead, where Alby is waiting.

'Glad you could make it Greenie,' Alby greets.

'My name's Lori,' she mutters under her breath.

'So, there's the matter of your sleeping arrangements. We don't want to have you sleeping out with all the others just yet. Not until we know they can be trusted. We don't want an incident.'

She gives a curt nod of agreement as Alby begins talking once more. 'So for the time being, Minho, you will be staying with Newt. Lori, you will be having Minho's room.'

Minho chuckles and slaps Newt on the back, 'Good that, we can have slumber parties and braid each other's hair.'

Newt scowls before pushing Minho's hand off of him, 'Sounds bloody brilliant.'

+ + + + +

Lori and Newt stand inside the Maze, the doors shut, and darkness beginning to devour them.

'You know what, Newt? I shouldn't have to be taking all the blame for this. Yes, I came out here. Me. On my own. But guess what! I didn't make you follow me!' She shouts, making his eyes widen noticeably.

She takes a deep breath, before continuing 'And I thought that no one was allowed to follow someone into the Maze? Something about 'trying not to lose more lives'? So, I ask you, why did you follow me out here?'