6. More Optimism

Annnd, chapter 6. Things are finally starting to get interesting!

Question of the Chapter: How would you react to having the Flare?

----------

"You guys ready for this?" Brenda asks, as they all stand outside of the Berg, in front of a giant cement wall with large iron doors.

Jorge snorts, "I forgot what an inviting place they have here."

"You sure you know what you're doing?" Thomas asks.

Jorge rolls his eyes slightly, surprised that Thomas is still underestimating him. "Just keep your mouth shut, hermano, and leave things to me. We're using our real first names with fake last names. All they'll really care about in the end is that we're immune - they'll love putting us on record. We won't have more than a day or two before they hunt us down to do something for the government. We're valuable. And I can't stress it enough - Thomas, you need to keep that yapper of yours closed."

"You too, Minho," Brenda says, looking at the boy pointedly. "Got it? Jorge created fake documents for all of us, and he lies like a master thief."

"No kidding," Minho mutters beneath his breath.

They all follow Jorge and Brenda, while Lori gives Newt a quick hug, before running after them all. Once she's beside Clara, she slows to a walk, looking around. The walls are so high, almost as high as the Maze was. Memories threaten to take over, but Lori wont let them.

The wall looms over them as they grow closer, the shadow stretching across the baron land. When they stop in front of the large metal doors, a loud buzzing noise sounds out, a woman's voice following close after.

"State your name and your business."

Jorge clears his throat, before responding in a loud voice. "I'm Jorge Gallaraga, and these are my associates, Brenda Despain, Thomas Murphy, Minho Park, Lori Mercer and Clara Barrow. We're here for some information gathering and field testing. I'm a certified Berg pilot. I have all the necessary paperwork with me, but you can check it out."
Jorge reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a small number or data cards, before holding them up to the camera nailed to the wall.

"Hold, please," the woman instructs them. Lori looks around at her fellow companions. Jorge and Brenda look calm, as if they've done this before, while Thomas looks like he's about to pass out. Minho and Clara stand off to the side silently, emotions stone cold.

Lori can't help but wonder what she looks like right now, as she stands there, worried about her friends who are with her, and the friend she had to leave behind.

The last person she would want to leave behind.

Finally, one of the large metal doors open with an ear-wrenching whine. As the door opens wider, all Lori can see is a dark hallway, which only lead to another large set of doors. These ones, however, are accompanied by screens and panels, which Lori could only imagine were more security precautions.

"Come on," Jorge says to them all. He walks ahead of them all, seemingly sure of every move. The five teens follow close behind, making sure not to stray. Jorge presses a button on one of the screens beside the door and types in all their fake names, along with their identification numbers. After entering all the information the screen asked for, he puts their data cards he had held up earlier into a slot.

They stand silently, awaiting further instructions from the lady on the intercom.
Lori looks at her friends once more, and Tommy still looks terrified.

Finally, the woman speaks again. "Papers are in order. Please move to the viral testing station."

Jorge does as instructed, stepping to the right as a one of the various panels on the wall open. A strange mechanical arm reaches out. Jorge willingly steps forward, pressing his face against the odd machine. He lines his eyes up with the machines mechanism that appears to look like eye sockets.