4. They Left Us Here

Thank you to everyone who is still reading even now. It means a lot to me!

Question of the Chapter: How did you guys react to seeing Newt as a Crank in 'the Scorch Trials' movie? God, I thought I was going to cry!

----------

Brenda had brought something up to Thomas that they had spoke about in the city. Minho, Clara and Lori have no idea what she's talking about. She keeps talking anyway. "I'm sorry I lied about why I was there, Thomas. And about how I told you I could feel the Flare working on my mind. But the rest was true. I swear it." How could she lie about having the Flare? That is just so insensitive; even if she was working for WICKED.

"Anyway, we talked about how increased levels of brain activity actually quicken the pace of destruction - it's called cognitive destruction. That's why that drug - the Bliss - is so popular with the people who can afford it. The Bliss slows brain function. It lengthens the time before you go bat crazy. But it's really expensive."

Thomas looks just as surprised as the rest of them. "Do people still function - live their lives, go to work, whatever - when they're drugged out?"

"They do what they need to do, but they're much more ... relaxed about it. You could be a fire man rescuing thirty children from an inferno, but you won't stress if you happen to drop a few of them into the flames along the way."

"That's just ... sick."

"I gotta get me some of that stuff," Minho murmurs.

"You're missing the point, again," Brenda says. "Think of the hell Newt has been through - all the decisions he's had to make. No wonder the Flare is moving fast in him. He's been stimulated too much - way more than the average person living their day to day life."

Thomas looks sad as he lets out a breath. "Well, there's nothing we can do about it until we get somewhere safer."

"Do about what?"

All five of them turn around, to see Newt standing in the doorway again. How does he get around so quietly? "Nothing," Thomas says. "Never mind - where'd you go?"

"I need to talk to you, Tommy. Just you. It'll only take a second."

Minho scoffs, "What's this crap?"

"Just cut me some slack. I need to give something to Tommy here. Tommy and no one else." His eyes flicker to Lori for a second, maybe trying to see her reaction. She isn't pleased with how he's treating her lately. Pissed actually. Does he not trust me anymore?

"Whatever, go for it." Minho pulls the Launchers up on his shoulder, making it more comfortable. "But we need to hurry."

The two step into the hallway, leaving the others to question what they're talking about.

They're back in less than five minutes, Newt lifting the ammo box while the rest of them fill their pockets.

"Let's go find our friends," Thomas says, heading back towards the door with the others following close behind.
They travel through the compound, making their way to the Berg where, hopefully, they'll find Jorge. As they go, they don't come across one person. Not one guard, 'subject', or Crank in sight.

The silence brought on by the empty corridors is broken, when Thomas begins to ask questions. "Were you guys allowed to move around while they had me locked in the white room? Are you sure we haven't missed anywhere?"

Lori takes a moment to think back to the time the had when Thomas wasn't around. They didn't really get to do much, it's not like WICKED would willingly let them snoop around. Especially since they could have found something, which knowing WICKED, there is definitely something to find.