24. Teach WICKED a Lesson

More, more, more!

----------

Lori feels her breath hitch in her throat.

Explosives.

They were going to blow up the building.

To teach WICKED a lesson.

Her mother works for WICKED.

Her mother is in that building.

She feels like she may pass out, the thought of losing another person taking its toll.

Thomas seems to notice this, and slides his hand in to hers, squeezing reassuringly.

Lori hears the woman's voice, but it's all muffled by her thoughts, like her ears are full of cotton wool.

It doesn't seem to matter though, because Thomas is talking now. Whatever she said was obviously directed towards him.

So much talking. So much muffled speech.

Lori forces herself to concentrate, clearing the fuzziness from her head.

"They've been planting for hours," the woman is saying. "They want them all to detonate at the same time, but I'm guessing we aren't quite that skilled."

"But, there are people inside that building," Lori mutters, still trying to compose herself. "What about them?"

"Lori's right," Thomas nods. "The people inside and the people we came here to rescue; what's going to happen to them?"

The two guards just shrugged, as if they couldn't possibly care less. "Vince hopes to get everyone out."

"Well that's reassuring," Lori says bitterly to herself beneath her breath. The last thing she wants to do is get into a fight with these people.

"He hope?" Thomas questions. "What does that mean?"

"He hope," The male guard repeats, basically saying that they answer is in the question.

"We need to talk to him."

The female guard points at the hole in the building. "Just through there a ways is an area they've pretty much taken over. You'll probably find Vince there. Careful, though. WICKED's got guards hiding all over the place. And they're vicious little buggers.

"Thanks for the warning," Thomas said, Lori nodding in agreement. He turns away from the two, pulling Lori away with him, and walks into the building through the gaping hole.

They stop, staring into the building. "Thomas, what if we don't get them all out?"

Thomas doesn't answer. They both already know. 

Stepping into the building, the first thing that Lori sees is the bright lights in the roof. 

The contrast in comparison to the darkness outside is enough to sting Lori's eyes.

Thomas lets go of Lori and jogs ahead, toward tables that are stood on their edges.

Lori focuses further, to see that their are people ducking behind the tables, using them like shields.

But why?

Looking to the wall opposite the barricade of tables, she sees a sizable set of glass double doors.

The guards are so focused on the door, they don't even notice Lori and Thomas peering in from the hallway.

"Hey!" Thomas whispers loudly. Lori thinks that he's talking to her at first, which is confusing since she is right beside him.