22. Never in a Million Years

We're nearly there! And it is becoming increasingly difficult to write such long chapters.

You're all awesome!

Fan, comment, vote, let me know what you're thinking!

----------

Janson put out a hand for Thomas to shake, "Welcome back, Thomas. No one believed me, but I've always been saying all along that you'd return. I'm glad you made the right choice."

She couldn't see Thomas' face clearly, but she could only imagine the blank expression he was wearing. "Let's just get on with it."

"Sounds like an excellent idea. After you." Janson moved to let Thomas pass and enter the building.

Thomas seemed to hesitate, but he went in anyway.

The screen began to disappear, and Lori started to panic. What were they going to do to him.
"No. No! What's going on? Where is he? What are they doing to him?"

She started to thrash against her restraints, the blanket falling off of her in the process.

The door opened again, and her mother entered the room, rushing over to her. She stopped beside her bed, running her hands through her daughter's hair to calm her down.

"You need to calm down or they will hurt you. Please, sweetheart, I don't want to lose you again." Lucinda's eyes were glistening with tears at the thought, and this is what caught Lori's attention.

Her breathing began to become jagged as she tried to slow it. Shutting her eyes, Lori took deep breaths, allowing the darkness to consume the void.

"There you go," her mother whispered as she undid the wrist restraints so her daughter wasn't so confined. "That's it. Deep breaths."

When her heart had finally slowed and her breathing was paced, she reopened her eyes to be met with her mother's.

So much worry and compassion. Lori remembered how she was before WICKED. Before the Flare.

She was like most mothers; kind, caring, willing to do anything for her children.

But, unfortunately, Lori still was unable to accept that she gave them up to WICKED.

It didn't matter though; she didn't care anymore.

"Why are they doing this? This can't all be for a cure, can it?" Lori whimpered.

Her mother sighed, "Like I told you before, they researched thoroughly, and this was the only solution they were able to find."

"What solution?" Lori asked. Her mother looked away from her, not wanting to discuss such matters with her daughter.
"Mom, what was the solution that they found for the Flare?"

Lucinda removed her hands from Lori's hand, looking down at them analytically. She refused to look at her, because she knew if she did she would tell her.

Knowing this, Lori grabbed onto her mother's hand, tugging on it to pull her gaze towards her.
"Please, tell me. What are they going to do to Thomas?"

She gulped, blinking, "He has the Killzone blueprint that leads to the cure."

"What?" Lori exclaimed. "No, he doesn't. If he did he would have told me. Or Minho or Newt. He would have told someone if he had the cure."

"It's not that simple."

Lori pushed a hand harshly through her hair, scraping her nails along her scalp. "Of course not. It never is. Why is it not simple this time?"