13. Don't You Dare

So many emotions! Don't forget to vote, and comment your thoughts! I love hearing from your guys, it really makes my day!

Question of the Chapter: in 'the death cure', were you disappointed that Newt didn't go with them, or did you agree with his decision?

---------

The three immediately begin to separate, knowing not to test Newt's threat. The man escapes first, kicking the woman in the chest, right in her rib-cage. She cries out in pain, curling up and clutching her injury. Minho gets up, his face covered in finger nail scratches, a majority of them beaded with blood.

There is a low buzzing sound, accompanied by a burning smell, and then Newt pulls the trigger. One of the Launcher grenades slams into the filthy man's chest, sending a web of electricity traveling across his body as he falls to the ground, screaming, twitching and frothing at the mouth.

Lori swings around, burying her face into Thomas's chest, who happened to be the closest too her, shocked by Newt's actions. He wraps an arm around her, trying to calm her down.

"I told him to stop," he says softly. He looks up to see Lori and Thomas, clenching his jaw as he realigns the Launcher to be aiming at the two. "Move on that quickly, huh? Although, I guess he was always next, wasn't he."

Lori pulls away to look him in the eyes, "What are you saying? I haven't moved on to anyone, and I haven't had anyone waiting." She doesn't know whether to get angry or break down in tears.

"Oh please," Newt sneers. "You think the Rat Man wasn't itching to show me that video? He made a trip out here, just so he could see my bloody face when I saw it."

The young girl's eyebrows knit together in confusion. "What vide-"

"Don't even try to act like you don't know what I'm talking about. That video of you kissing that shank?" He points at Thomas. "Yeah, Janson was just dying to show me it. He even replayed it a couple of times."

Lori's eyes fall to the ground, ashamed of herself. Minho looks shocked, his mouth slightly agape. Thomas, however, is stepping forward, ready to defend his friend. "Don't get mad at her, man, it wasn't her fault. We still had the chips, remember? It was WICKED, it wasn't either of us, I swear. If they can make Chuck jump in front of a bullet, then they can make us do anything."

Newt's demeanour softens a bit, considering what Thomas is saying. Thomas continues carefully, "He obviously didn't show you what happened afterwards. Lori, she stopped it. She told me she didn't mean to and that it had to be WICKED, because of her tattoo. You remember her tattoo, don't you? The Deceiver."

The blonde looks at Lori carefully, and she takes the opportunity to speak in a quiet tone. "I would never hurt anyone like that on purpose. I told you what they told me on the Berg, that I am supposed to break you. What better way than that?"

After a moment, his eyes soften. "I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm saying. I know you. I know you wouldn't. I'm sorry, I- I can't help it. My head feels like it's full of cobwebs." He swings the Launcher away from her. "Look, you guys need to leave. No more discussion. I'm sorry."

Minho does walk away, just holds his hands up in mock defence. "You're going to shoot me? Old pal?"

Lori shakes her head, stepping in front of Minho. "No, that's enough. No one is shooting anybody! Please, Newt. Please just come with us," Lori pleads.

"Go," Newt says, avoiding eye contact with her. "I asked nicely. Now I'm telling. This is hard enough. Go."

Lori feels her eyes tear up; he looks so sad.