12. Where is He?

Gosh, I do not like the Crank Palace scene. My heart always bleeds for Newt.

Question of the Chapter: if I wrote another fanfic after this, would you read it?

----------

They sit in the shade, waiting anxiously for the guard to return.

"So, are you going to talk to anyone yet?" Minho asks.

Lori shrugs.

The boy chuckles, "They're literally finding him now, so talk to me. Come on, I know you can't stay quiet that long. It's not in your nature"

Lori laughs. "Thank you for being such a good friend," she says, her voice coming out a hoarse whisper.

"You're welcome. Same to you I guess," he chuckles. He looks away, his eyes drifting to Clara.

The strawberry blonde smiles. "You know, I know it doesn't seem like it, but you shouldn't let this whole save-the-world thing get in the way of you following your feelings."

Minho's cheek flame red, "I have no idea what you're talking about, shank."

"Oh, I'm sure," she nods, before leaning towards him. "She likes you too by the way."

Minho immediately attempts to cover a smile. He's about to say something, when two Cranks walk up to their group; a man and a woman holding hands.

"When did you get here?" the woman inquires.

Brenda decides to save the day, "We came in with the last group. We're actually looking for our friend who was with us. His name's Newt - blond hair, has a limp. Have you seen him?"

The couple look at each other, before returning the gaze to Brenda. The man answers as if the girl was an imbecile. "Lots of people with blond hair around here - how're we supposed to tell who's who? What kind of name is Newt anyway?"

Lori feels her blood begin to boil, but Thomas rests a hand on her arm, calming her, reminding her why they're there.

A loud noise erupts from the center of town, causing the couple to run off in worry, retreating to a house a few doors down.

"They look about as happy t be here as we are," Thomas points out.

Jorge grumbles. "Real friendly. I think I'll come back to visit."

"They don't look like they've been here all that long," Lori says quietly, shocking everyone that she has actually spoken. "I must be pretty scary finding out you're sick, then being sent here."

No one responds, the thought to grim for anyone to want to dwell on the topic.

"Where are those guard?" Minho asks. "How long does it take to find someone and tell 'em their friends are here?"

Another ten minutes and the guards are back. But they have not brought Newt.

Lori is on her feet in seconds. "Well, where is here? What did you find?"

The tall man answers the question again, "Took through some looking around, but I think I found your guy. Looks just like you described and he turned toward us when we called his name. But . . ." He looks to his partner, a strange look on both of their faces.

"'But'?" Lori echoes. "But what."

The guard sighs. "He said - very pointedly, I might add - to tell you guys to get lost."

Lori can feel her heart crumbling, her head fuzzy with thoughts. Why would he say that?

"Show us where he is," Minho demands, jaw clenched.