16. Too Many Questions

Comment, vote, share, let me know what you're thinking!

Question of the Chapter: If you could be any character from the series, who would you want to be?

----------

"This is the headquarters of the Right Arm?" Brenda asks, not sounding very impressed with what she's seeing. "Consider me a little discouraged."

The smile immediately leaves Gally's face as he looks at Brenda. I don't blame him, what she said was kind of rude, taking into consideration that meeting places don't get much better than this these days.
"We've moved around more times than we can count. But thank you for the compliment."

Thomas skips over their little comments, "So, which one of you is the boss?"

Gally gestures to the man beside him. "Don't be a slinthead - Vince is in charge. And show some respect. He risked his life just because he believes that things should be made right in the world."

The other boy puts his hands up defensively. "I didn't mean anything. The way you acted in your apartment, I thought you might be the guy in charge."

"Well, I'm not. Vince is."

"Does Vince know how to talk?" Brenda questions bitterly.

"Enough!" The man shouts at them all. Lori jumps, not expecting the man to yell like he did. "Our whole city is overrun with Cranks - I don't have time to sit here and listen to childish spats. What do you people want?"

Thomas takes a deep breath, holding back his anger. "Just one thing. We want to know why you captured us. Why you're kidnapping people for WICKED. Gally gave us a lot of hope - we thought we were on the same side. Imagine our surprise when we found out the Right Arm is just as bad as the people they're supposedly fighting against. How much money were you going to make selling humans?"

"Gally," The man says simply, looking to his companion instead of answering Thomas.

"Yeah?"

"You trust these three?"

Gally doesn't bother to look at any off them, practically avoiding eye contact, just looking past them. "Yeah. We can," He nods, reassuring Vince.

The large man leans on the table for support, looking at the three. "Then we can't waste any time. Boy, this is a look-alike operation and we didn't plan on making a single dime off of anybody. We're collecting Immunes to mimic WICKED."

This explanation completely confuses Lori more than providing any answers. "That doesn't make sense, why would you do that?" Lori asks him.

"We're going to use them to get inside their headquarters."

"That's insane," Lori replies, gawking.

Thomas is just looking at Vince, before turning to Lori shaking his head. "No, no it's not. That just might work."

"I'm glad you approve," Vince says. "We have a contact, and the deal is already arranged to sell them. It's our way in. We have to stop those people. Prevent them from wasting even more resources on a pointless experiment. If the world is going to survive, they need to use what they have to help the people left alive. Keep the human race going in a way that makes sense."

Lori nods along, trying to keep up. "Okay, so you've got that all down, but what about the end-game? Do you think they're going to be able to actually find a cure?"

Vince laughs in a low, condescending way. "If you believed that for a second, you wouldn't be standing here in front of me, would you? Any of you? You wouldn't have escaped, wouldn't be seeking revenge. Which is what I'm assuming you are doing. I know what you've been through - Gally told me everything." He takes a moment to look at the two Gladers, emphasizing that they were the two Gally had told him about. "No, we gave up on their . . . cure a long time ago."