26. Safety in Numbers

Almost there!

----------

Sonya follows Brenda, Teresa and Lori out after Thomas, helping her line make it through at a fast - yet safe - rate.

They continue towards the Cliff, praying that the whole Maze doesn't collapse around them.

Its constant violent shaking was not comforting, however.

A right, a left, another right - it's feels endless.

One last right and they're in the corridor which leads to the Cliff, to their salvation from the Maze for the second time. From where they are, Lori is able to see the ceiling, the black walls, the round hole - but more importantly the cracks reaching their way across their fake gray sky.

"Hurry! Move!" Thomas turns and shouts to the Glade girls and Sonya.

People began screaming again, and Lori spun just in time to see a large piece of wall tumbling down and kitting an older man, throwing him to the ground. He collapses, and doesn't appears to be getting up any time soon.

Close by, a young boy is dragging along an older woman. His mother, maybe?

A man carries a toddler, who doesn't seem to comprehend the danger they're in.

All their faces are so terrified. So unsure of what is going to happen to them.

What WICKED wants with them.

They finally arrive at the Cliff, the two wooden boards still there.

Sonya allows Teresa to go first, which she does.
They all begin to follow suit, carefully making their way down the Griever hole.

Brenda went through but Lori decided to stay back, helping Thomas and Sonya to shepherd the first group down and out of the Maze.

Safety in numbers, especially trying to control so many panicked people.

"You guys go!" Sonya calls out to Thomas and Lori. "They need to know what to do once they're down there.

Thomas nods somewhat reluctantly, starting to head into the pack and to the Griever hole.

Lori is concerned, looking to Sonya, "Are you sure you don't need a hand? There's a lot of people here."

She smiles gratefully, nodding her head. "It's fine. Just go and help your friends. We don't need chaos in such a small space."

Lori agrees, rushing to catch up with Thomas.

She gets to the front, crosses the boards, and climbs down the ladder as quickly as possible, jumping and skipping the last few rungs.

Teresa is down the bottom, assisting the other Immunes in finding where they're supposed to be going.

"I'll do this!" She hears Thomas shout over the commotion of feet hitting the ground and worried voices. "Get to the front of the pack!"

Teresa opens her mouth, but then it drops open slowly in shock, her eyes widening to the same size.

Thomas and Lori immediately turn around, against their better judgement.

The Griever pods they had passed on the way in - their top halves are beginning to open up, hissing out air as they do so.

Teresa moves quickly, rushing over to Thomas and Lori, screaming her words to be sure that she is heard over the noise. "Listen to me! On the tail end of the Grievers-" her finger leads their eyes to a pod by the wall near them - "What the Creators called the barrel - inside the blubber, there's a switch, like a handle. You have to reach through the skin and pull it out. If you can do it, the things will die."