5. Promise?

Here we go for another, hope you're all still tagging along!

Question of the chapter: Who is your favorite secondary character? I like Jorge, he's pretty funny.

----------

They all seem shocked by the turn of events, but right now, Thomas is too electric to touch. As they wait for the sparks to die down, guards make their way over to Thomas.

Once they're near him, Minho and Newt spring forward, pouncing upon the unsuspecting guards. They beat upon a guard each, as Jorge fires his Launcher at the rest of them.

Lori remains beside Thomas, making sure no one brings harm to him as he recovers. He drags himself onto his hands and knees, and starts to crawl to the ramp of the Berg. Lori wants to help, but he still has sparks dancing along his skin.

As Thomas crawls further up the ramp, the two other boys and Jorge back their way towards the Berg, all three now firing at the guards once more.

"That's it!" Jorge yells at them. "Grab his butt and drag him in!"

Lori nods and rushes over to Thomas, grabbing his shoulders and trying to drag him the rest of the way up the ramp. When she realizes she doesn't have the strength to pull him up, she calls to Newt. He is beside her in seconds, lifting Thomas by his shirt, walking him in, and dropping him onto to the floor of the Berg.

The door shuts and the locks click as Jorge fires up the Berg.

"Sorry, Tommy," Newt mutters to the boy who groans in pain from being dropped like a sack of potatoes. "Could've been a bit more gentle, I 'spect."
Lori rolls her eyes, before noticing that Thomas has blacked out. Must have finally hit his pain threshold.

The Berg finally takes off, and they're out of the compound. They're free.

Lori makes her way towards a large cargo hold that contains multiple low-hanging cots. She sighs as she slides down onto a cot. Not moments later, is Newt sitting beside her.
"So, you wanted to talk."

All of a sudden, she feels extremely nervous, not sure whether she wants to anymore. "Uh - yeah - I guess."

"Do you want me to go first, or -"

She shakes he head, looking up from the ground to his chocolate brown eyes. "No, no. I asked to talk, so I should start."
She goes quiet once more, dropping her eyes back to the metal floor. They sit in silence for a while longer, before Newt clears his throat expectantly.

Lori looks back up awkwardly. "Right. Sorry. I just - I need to talk to you about, well, you. About the Flare."

Newt lets out a breath slowly, his eyes averting hers as soon as the word 'Flare' left her lips. "What about it?"

"What do you mean 'what about it?" Her eyebrows crease. "You're walking around like a tough guy, as if this isn't affecting you, you're treating everyone like crap, and you've basically ignored me ever since you found out."

"I'm sorry. For all of it," He swears, looking her in the eyes. "I didn't mean to, but, well it's not something I want to bloody dwell over. I've got the Flare, and there ain't nothin' we can do about it. I'm learnin' to accept that. You should too."

Lori begins to feel tears welling up in the corners of her eyes. "This isn't something I can just learn to accept, Newt. You are the one that told me not to get my memories back. You told me that we could make new ones together. But now, you're going to leave me."

"It's not like I want to. And you still could've changed your mind about the buggin' Swipe. We didn't get those until after he read the list with my shuck name on it," He retorts.