17. The Sooner, the Better

Oh, my god, we're at the chapter. . . .

Lord help me.

Comment, vote, share, let me know what you're thinking!
xoxo

I'm going to do these shorter double updates instead, so that we get to the end faster. Plus, it makes it much easier to write the chapters when they're shorter.

Thank you for understanding

Question of the Chapter: Are you nervous? I'm nervous.

----------

Thomas and Lori were both armed with a pistol, and sat together closest to the door of the van.
"Are you sure you want to come? I know that WICKED want you for something, and if you're scared, that's okay. I can go alone."

"I'm not scared, and I'm not letting you go alone," She replies. "I'm doing this to help our friends; to help everyone. Besides, you couldn't make me stay behind even if you tried." They both grin, before Lawrence looks at them both.

"Okay, remember the plan," he instructs firmly. Because that was something they were planning on forgetting.

"And what was the plan?" Thomas asks. Lori can't help but wonder whether he's being sincere or not.

"Make it to the hangar without dying."

Lori nods, "Sounds like a good plan. Dying would probably make it a bit hard to stop WICKED, after all."

Thomas chuckles under his breath, and Lawrence just shakes his head disapprovingly.

The whole van goes silent as they begin their journey to the hangar.

The roads were empty as they drove along the dark cement, hoping not to run into any danger. They didn't really feel like getting attacked by hoards of Cranks again.

Light was starting to peak over the horizon as the sun began to rose, illuminating the dark path ahead of them.

Thomas was staring at the cars they pass, spotting how many contained Cranks, and whether or not they looked like they wanted to eat their flesh.

After what felt like ages, Lawrence took a turn in the road, leading down a much narrower, longer highway that ended in a gate that kept them out of the walled city.

"This'll take us all the way," Lawrence tells them. "The hangar is probably our most protected facility, so all we have to do is make it there. An hour from now we'll be up in the air, happy and safe."

"The sooner, the better," Lori say.

"Good that," Thomas agrees.

The pilot doesn't say anything.

After several miles, the van begins to slow, and Lawrence lets out a small gasp. "What in the world?"

Lori looks out the windshield, trying to see what Lawrence is seeing.

Not too far ahead of them, multiple cars are driving around and around in circles, pulling up dust everywhere.

"I guess I'll just try to get past them," Lawrence mutters. The cars continue to spin, not yet noticing the approaching van. We all know though, that that won't last long. They're bound to notice them, and when they do, trouble was bound to follow.

The car moves along slowly, Lawrence looking around everywhere. "It'll just take us forever to backtrack and try a different way. I'm just going to try to get through."