Chapter 30

"So your totally okay with this?" I asked my mother once again.

Knowing how this whole conversation was going to go was planned in my head. She would resist of letting her now seventeen year old daughter travel all around the country with the boy she was in a relationship with especially alone. A whole 2 month alone in a car, in and out of hotels. Trust me I know what goes through a parents mind.

"Nova Ava Brooks" she started by removing some strings of hairs out of my face and placed it behind my ear.

"I know what I'm doing here is very out of hand, You and a boy alone is probably a parent's worst nightmare but I know sometimes in life I have to let you go and let you live your own life and now at this age you should go out into the world" she says tearing up a bit.

"You know that sometime doesn't have to be now right" I say causing us to chuckle.

"Now go and get ready for you special day" she kissed my forehead getting up with both our empty coffee cups. "Thank you for the great coffee by the way" she smiles. "No problem" I say and go up to my room and change.

A couple hours pass by as I am finally ready for my the party my mom and friends put together down at the cafe. Just as I was looking for some jewelry to put I came across a drawer where an opened up gift was in there, it was Shawn's album.

Few Months Ago..

There I sat on the floor sobbing later that night as Shawn lyrics hit me hard, his album played from the cd player I still had from when I was a kid.

"Close your eyes, you can't hide
Try to forget me, but I'm everywhere
I'm the smell on your sheets
you weren't ready when you left me there"

Every lyric was true. I knew deep inside he was singing about my mistake the whole Victoria situation and how I led it out to the world when I knew that was something very personal about him. I put on a face that I could live without him in my life even though we've know each other for a few days he was someone who had become close, become part of my world, had a huge impact on my life. He was someone who I had to be with almost every second of the day.

I let someone who I loved go because of my stupid selfishness get in the way.

Present

"Nova we should be leaving now!" My mom called me from the living room waking me up from my flashbacks I just had. I smiled at the artwork that I held in my hands and put it in my suitcase which I was taking on this road trip.

~~~

"Happy Birthday Dear Nova.." everyone sang as I stood awkwardly in front of my birthday cake where everyone surrounded me taking pictures and just having a good time, but as I looked around for that specific special person but he wasn't nowhere to be found.

"Happy Birthday to you!" they finished with a clap as I made my wish then blew my candles.

"Go Nova, Go Nova, It's your birthday, go Nova" Matt cheered recording a snapchat as I stuck out my tongue at him.

As the cake was being handed out I made my way towards the back of the cafe to go up the roof without anyone noticing except for one person.

"Where you going?" Sam said from behind the counter.

"I need some air" I say.

"You know you talked to everyone about your little road trip but your boss" she raised an eyebrow.

"Samantha, why do you think I've been working extra shift" I say.

"As your boss I will give you 2 months off but meanwhile I will have to fill in your spot for those 2 month but as your bestie I hope you have the time of your life" she smiles and pulls me into a hug.

"I hate when you use the term 'bestie' on me" I complained. "And I hate when you say my full name" she says. We backed away and giggled. "Go on and take your air" she says and heads back behind the counter.

As I walked up to the staircase up to the roof, I stepped aside and removed my heels. Finally when I made it to the roof there were christmas lights hung up from corner to corner. This was something new. Plants were decorated, everything was so beautiful.

"I love it when you just don't care
I love it when you dance like there's nobody there
So when it gets hard, don't be afraid
We don't care what them people say
I love it when you don't take no
I love it when you do what you want cause you just said so
Let them all go home, we out late
We don't care what them people say

We don't have to be ordinary
Make your best mistaken
'Cause we don't have the time to be sorry
So baby be the life of the party
I'm telling you to take your shot it might be scary
Hearts are gonna break
'Cause we don't have the time to be sorry
So baby be the life of the party

Together we can just let go
Pretending like there's no one else here that we know
Slow dance fall in love as the club track plays
We don't care what them people say"

His angelic voice sang out of nowhere as he played his guitar and suddenly two people came out with their violins as they helped him play the song. I got teary eyed surprised that someone would do this kind of thing to me. It's corny as hell but I love corny especially from this guy.

Just as everyone stopped playing, he put his guitar down and continued singing without the background music walking his way up to me.

"We don't have to be ordinary
Make your best mistakes
'Cause we don't have the time to be sorry
So baby be the life of the party
I'm telling you to take your shot it might be scary
Hearts are gonna break
'Cause we don't have the time to be sorry
So baby be the life of the party"

He finished and was face to face with me. A tear drop fell but he wiped it off. "Your incredible Mendes" I say. He laughs. "I know".

"Nova Brooks I love you.." he says placing a flower on my ear as his other hand was in his pocket about to take out something.

"Oh god this isn't a proposal" I gasp knowing I wasn't ready for that kind of commitment. He chuckles at my reactions.

"Calm down it's not, he takes out a box and opened it up where a beautiful ring was placed. "It's a promise ring, a promise that we'll always be together in the future no matter what comes in our way because we'll understand each other and hear ourselves out" he says placing the ring on my ring finger.

"I love you" I say pulling him onto my lips as we shared an intimate kiss wrapping my arms around his neck. He hugged me by my waist and as we pulled back, he turned around to the violinist.

"Thanks you guys, you may leave" he announces and they smiled nodding their heads.

"You guys killed it" I say laughing. Shawn looks at me weird. "What? They needed to be thanked cause without them you would've been a mess" I joke. His reaction was hilarious. "Oh really? Well I have you know this guy has been on tour with his guitar and still sold out arenas" he defends himself.

"I was joking" I say giggling. "Whatever" he kisses me once more. "How about we explore Central Park once more?" he suggest. "Do you think anyone would notice?" I asked.

"No?" he says unsure about if his response was correct or not. "Oh screw it, let's go" I smile and we both ran out the staircase out onto the streets hopping on a subway.

______________

Aftertaste is now finished you guys. Holy shit writing this book was like going through a journey. This book has 15k views what the heck?! 700+ votes too? You guys are fucking incredible.

Thank you for voting, thank you for reading this book. This is actually the first book I've ever finished and I'm so proud of myself *pats selfs*

Anyways thank you once again and have a good day or night.

Love you so much💕

Published May 24, 2016