[18]

18. Patient

"H-Hi Zayn, it's be-been a month a-and you still haven't w-woken up" Liam says grabbing his boyfriend's slightly cold hand.

"I-I miss you, your pa-parents and sisters do too" Liam says, glancing at the door of the hospital room.

Trisha was sitting on the bench across from the room, holding onto a bible in her hand and that made Liam's heart ache at how many times she's been praying since he arrived.

Trisha looked a lot worse than weeks ago, she had to stay home sometimes so Yaser would stay with Zayn in the hospital. They would only let Doniya come visit the hospital, Zayn's younger sisters couldn't come because Yaser didn't want them to worry

Especially Safaa, the young girl has no idea that her only brother is fighting for his life here, Liam didn't want her innocence to be destroyed by this

Liam gently moves the fringe away from Zayn forehead, pushing it back. "Y-You'll have a fi-fit when you wa-wake up. T-they won't fix yo-your hair everyday" he says with a slight smile, already imagining Zayn looking grumpy

Liam sits back in his chair, staring at the still figure in the bed. "O-Oh and I have so-something to tell y-you" he says for a moment, squeezing Zayn's hand

"M-My Mum said I-I could ta-take speech cl-classes soon" Liam says with a grin, feeling excited at the thought of talking without stuttering holding him back.

"I-I'm nervous, b-but I'll be okay. I-I wish you co-could be here with m-me, Harry and Louis s-said they would co-come"

After a while Liam stopped smiling, he swallowed the lump in his throat as he lays his head on Zayn's lap. "P-Please wake up Z-Zee" he begs, sniffing slightly

He already felt alone, yes he had his friends but he really needed his boyfriend there too.

"Sweetheart? You're dad is outside" Trisha says with a small smile. Liam nods, standing up his chair looking down at Zayn.

"I-I'm coming" he says before placing Zayn's hand back to his side, he makes sure to tuck him in and that his growing hair was away from his face

"I-I love you Z-Zee" Liam says before leaning down to his his forehead, he makes his way to the door before glancing back at the still man.

"I'll see you tomorrow dearie?" Trisha asks giving him a hug. "Y-Yes mam, see you t-tomorrow" Liam says with a wave, already making his way to the exit.

"Hey buddy, how was today?" Geoff asks as Liam gets in the car. "O-Okay" "Yeah, any progress?" His father asks as he begins to drive out from in front of the hospital

"N-No, still th-the same" Liam says quietly, rubbing his eye. "Liam don't give up, okay? Zayn'll be up in no time, you just visiting is probably encouraging him yeah?"

Liam nods. "And you know, I heard that people who are in comas can actually hear everything that's going on" "R-Really?" "Oh yeah, so you just keep talking to him"

"I-I told him ab-about speech c-classes" Liam says making Geoff smile. "You excited?"

"A-A little bit" Liam says, suddenly touching at his quiff. "Well y'know everyone is excited too, but Liam just so you know, whatever happens we'll still love you if you stutter or not"

Liam smiles sincerely, "Th-Thanks dad," he says, already having a thought popped in his head.

"C-Could you dr-drop me off at L-Louis'?" "Sure, you've been the house for a long time" Liam nods, rubbing his hands through his hair for the last time.

- - - -

Louis stares at his bestfriend sitting on the stool of the bathroom, "Li, are you sure about this? You can grow it out some more if you'd like?"

Liam shakes his head, "N-No, just do it" he says, motioning to the electric clippers plugged up to the outlet in the wall.

Louis grabs them, "Alright, any last words?" Liam shakes his head, "I-It'll grow ba-back" he says making Louis pout.

"Fine I'll say some words," Louis says, placing his hand on Liam's hair. "I will miss how soft you are, how you smell like hazel nuts sometimes, and I'm sure going to miss how you cover Liam's big forehead"

Liam couldn't help but crack a grin, Zayn thinks his forehead is pretty cute. "In lord's name, amen. Harry! Get in here and pay respects!" Louis shouts loudly.

Liam blushes embarrassingly, "C-C'mon boo" "No we need this funeral, everyone has to be here" Louis says as he hears footsteps.

"What's going on?" "Say a eulogy for Liam's hair please" Louis says making Harry frown.

"You're shaving your head?!" Liam nods, "Y-Yes" "Why? I was going to teach you how to put it in a man bun"

Liam smiles sadly, "I-It'll grow ba-back Haz" Harry leans on threshold of the bathroom door with a defeated sigh, "Alright well, m'gonna miss it being long and being able to ruffle it whenever I want" he says, sounding a bit disappointed.

Not because of Liam's hair, hair is hair, everyone knows that. But Harry feels like Liam is doing this for closure, he knows Zayn still hasn't woke up yet and he knows his friend has been going through a lot right now

Louis smiles, "Ready?" Liam nods, "R-Ready" he says, closing his eyes when he hears the loud buzzing noises.

Harry watches as Louis starts from the back, a piece of hair falling slowly into the bathroom door. He chews on his lip slightly, "Still looking good Payno" he says getting a small smile from his friend

Louis made sure to be careful and take it slow, he doesn't want anything to be ruined for his friend.

After ten minutes, the buzzing stop and Louis sets the clippers down. "Finished" "H-How does I lo-look?"

"You still have a big forehead but you look great" Louis says teasingly making Liam smile a little, he opens his eyes staring at his reflection.

Liam eyes widen, "I-I haven't done th-this sense I was t-ten" he says, moving his head slightly, checking each angle.

"It's good yeah? You're happy now?" Louis asks, placing his hands on Liam's shoulders.

Liam places his hand on the top of his buzzcut, he chews on his bottom lip before looking at Louis. "W-Was this the ri-right thing to d-do?"

Louis stares at him, "If you want it to be Liam" The younger man turns to look at the mirror, his lip quivering slightly.

Zayn had promised him that he would shave his head one day.

"Babe" Harry says, walking inside to rub Liam's back. "Th-This was su-supposed to make m-m-me happy" Liam confesses, looking up at his friend.

Harry pulls him into his side, "Don't cry liam, please?" "Z-Z-Zayn, I-I want Zayn" Liam says before clinging onto Harrys side, starting to shake slightly.

Louis sighs, "C'mon mate, it's alright, Zayn is okay. He isn't going anywhere Li" he reassures, making Liam shake his head.

Louis sat on the counter of the bathroom, his own eyes beginning to get up slightly at the scene. A man with a buzzcut, crying over his loved one that seemed like he wasn't going to wake up any time soon

"You're patient Liam, okay? Patience is the key, and Zayn'll be up in no time. I promise you" Harry says, kissing his forehead before wiping the tears from Liam's cheeks

Liam nods, fiddling with the bracelet Zayn had made for him as Harry whispers sweet nothings to him. It had dark green beads as well as black ones.

It was Zayn lucky bracelet and he had given it to Liam. He has to remember to slide his bracelet back on on Zayn, for luck that he will wake up soon.

Maybe that will work? Liam sniffs loudly, maybe just maybe.