[25] HIM.

Mark pulls at my sweater and asks me to get off it, “You crazy or something? The sun is scorching us and you wear this thing to school? Are you even human?”

It’s a question I have been asking myself a lot lately. A human has feelings, I don’t, “Consider me an alien for now,” I tell him.

His face turns serious for a moment and it looks strange because that is not who he is, “Aid, are you alright? Tell me what’s wrong.”

It seems nice to see the care, and for a moment, I want to show him the wounds, tell him what I have been going through, ask him to help me get over it, but I push away the urge. I don’t want anybody to know.

“Nothing is wrong, my friend,” I say with a fake smile but his face muscles don't relax.

“I know you have been going through a lot, Aid. I know it’s too much for a 16 year old, I can’t even imagine it. But it’s been three months. Three long months. I miss him too. I miss him a lot, but I am not shrinking myself away from the society, I am not building my own cage.”

“Neither am I,” I say with a shrug.

“You are, Aid, you are. And it’s almost done. I can see it, I can feel it. You need to break it, you need to come out of it and get back to who you were. Because believe it or not; he is not coming back, Aiden. He is gone but you are still here, and you need to live. Whatever happens, life goes on bro, it does.”

His words are hurting me but at the same time they are giving me a sense of comfort, and I know he is right about the cage, and I am suddenly scared it is already complete.

“Aid,” he goes on after a pause, “You need to find something to keep your mind occupied. Maybe soccer? Or piano classes? Or a new girlfriend. Something. You need something on your mind other than him. Think about it.”

My mind is wandering off to things that might interest me, but there is only a blank void.
I can't think of anything.

Except a blonde girl in a blue skirt.