Chapter 22

Demi’s POV:

It’s been ten months since Wilmer and I broke up. We’re friends now, but there’s always some sort of tension between us. He knows I’ll never trust him that way again. I stared out the large rectangle window in my home. The leaves on the trees were starting to change and my once warm home was getting colder by the second. I don’t know how, but for the first time in a long while, I found myself thinking of a familiar name: Niall Horan.

I hadn’t seen nor spoken to him since my father’s passing. I guess Niall wasn’t joking when he told me he would give me some space. I turned away from the window and trotted down the stairs to turn up the heater. I made myself a hot cup of coffee and wrapped myself in a blanket. I began to think about everything that had happened that year.

Niall had been the one who treated me right, respected me, but I broke his heart. I felt a painful pang in my chest. I was terrible to him. Niall had loved me once. He had trusted me. With one hand, I picked up my black iPhone and browsed through my contacts for his name. I pushed the “call” button.

My stomach seemed to want to jump out of my mouth. What would I say? What would he say? Would he be surprised or mad? Right when I decided that it wasn’t a good idea and was going to hang up, I heard the tone of an Irish accent. “Hello?” it said.

I almost burst into tears. It had been so long since I had heard his voice. “Niall.” I breathed. The other end when almost silent, but I knew he hadn’t hung up.

“Demi,” he said finally, “its been a long time.” I sighed with relief. He didn’t sound angry, just shocked. I chuckled a little bit. There was an awkward tension between us.

“How are you?” I asked him.

“Uh, good. I’m really surprised you called. It’s been almost a year…” he sounded troubled.

“I know, I’m so sorry. I was stupid and I should have never treated you that way.”

“It’s—it’s okay, Demi.”

I knew he was still shocked that I called, but I knew what I wanted. I knew that Niall was the one for me. I was in love with him. I had always been in love with him. It just took a certain person to get out of my life for me to realize it.

“What time is it there?” I asked him. I heard Niall searching around for the time.

“About 4PM.” He answered.

“Good, I’ll be over at your house in three hours. How about some makeup sex?” I giggled.

Niall chuckled awkwardly on the other end of the line. “Demi—like I said, I will always love you, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t moved on. I’m seeing someone else now.”

I heard a female voice in the background. “Who’s that babe?” it asked.

A lump in my throat began to form. I was embarrassed and heartbroken. “I’ll talk to you later, Demi.” And the phone clicked off. I wasn’t going to cry. If Niall was happy, then I was happy too.

 I guess that’s just the game of love. It makes you go around in circles, makes you hurt the people you love most, and breaks hearts. I guess it can be a good game too though. You just have to find the right person to play it with. That’s the thing about love. It can transform you… or destroy you.

Hey babes(: I'm so extremely sad to say that this is the last chapter of Nightingale. I cried pretty hard while I wrote it. This story was 100% worth writing and about a year, later its over :( There will be an epilogue, but I still need to edit it. Thank you all so much for EVERYTHING! All the votes, follows, reads, fans all of it. You are all such a blessing in my life and tbh I don't know what I would do without any of you because this story would be a total fail.

I think i'm going to cry haha(': this isn't the official end of Nightingale, but once it is, I think we need to have a party where we all just cry and talk about our favorite chapters and parts of the story? yes?  

I know there is going to be some criticism about the Demi asking for sex from Niall, but the point of that was because she spent so much time with Wilmer
that she started to become a female version of him. That's why their relationship wasn't good. I hope you guys understand that(: Anyway, #diallforever<3 thank you guys for everything omfg I love you