Chapter 3

As soon as she was gone, I turned back to my suitcase. I pushed a few shirts to the side, grabbing the picture frame.

Underneath it was a tattered book, covered in brown leather and a few strings.

My old song book.

I had wrote all the lyrics to my first album in this book. It still felt as cold as when I first bought it

"You're not actually going to buy that, are you?" Phil asked me as we walked to the counter, the small book in my hand.

"Of course I am."

I smiled. I opened the book to the first page. Written in black sharpie was the warning I had put on the inside cover.

For the eyes of Dan Howell ONLY!
This means you Phil Lester!

He always teased me about opening it, but he never actually looked inside.

"Will you sing me one of your songs?" Phil pleaded, sitting down on my bed.

"I really don't want to." I shrugged, starting to put my book away.

"Then just read me one. C'mon!" He raised his voice. "I'm your best friend."

I shook my head again.

Every song in that book was about him. The three love songs, the song about summer... All nine songs on the album were based on Phil.

"Dan?" Phil asked me. I knew he had heard one of my songs on the radio.

"What?" I replied.

"In one of your songs, you said many things that we've done before."

"Uhm... No?"

"So the song 'the shortest summer' isn't about the summer we spent in Florida?"

"I-uh..."

"And in the airport before we left, we both agreed it was 'the shortest summer' ever?"

"Call it... inspiration?"

"It's not a bad song! I just... I wanted to know."

I read over the song. It was one of my most popular hits, but the lyrics were repeated, and kind of stupid. I was singing it in the upcoming show.

The second book in my suitcase was holding my sad writing period, when I had left Phil.

"I thought we still had a week left." Phil said, his eyebrows knitting together.

I shook my head, turning to the bus behind me. "We only have 5 minutes right now."

"Don't let them change you, Dan." Phil sighed. "Make sure to come home after you're done."

"I will, Phil, I promise."

"I'll come to a show!"

"Please don't." I laughed. "I'll be very nervous."

Phil laughed, but it wasn't true. He breathed a laugh as if it weren't a joke. "I'll see you around, D-slice."

"See you."

The bus hit a bump in the road, making the things on my bed fly up and back onto the cushion. I sighed. I had only spent this much time in an automobile, besides was the road trip I took with Phil.

Phil.

Why did everything I looked at remind me of him?

Considering my manager was an asshole, my mom didn't even bother to wish me 'good luck' before I left, and Adrian only used me for autographs, the other person I could talk to was my dad. He was one of the most sweetest and loving human beings I had ever met. He always told me to dream big and have the courage to do anything I wanted. But now that I was away from my two favorite people, I basically wanted to curl up in a dark hole and die.

Phil. He was one of my very first friends. Ever since high school, he had helped me through my existential crisis attacks and when I just wanted to give up. He was one of the few people who helped me follow my dreams, as well as my dad, and Lou. He was my rock, guiding me through tough times. He's a life saver.

But I had to snap out of it. Get my shit together, and keep smiling to make the money. My family needed it.

And it was fun. Meeting new people and hearing about how much I had helped them. Sometimes it brightens up my day to see that I can help them through what I was experiencing.

Why was I still in my 'professional' outfit? Lou had told me the company wanted me to wear the purple shirt with a white leather coat they had bought me a few months ago. I slipped on a much more comfortable jumper, sliding into bed that kept me secure in a moving vehicle. With the sad book against my chest, I fell into a soundless sleep for a few hours.

A/N OMG thank you guys for 50 reads already :) we will be updating every week day! Go check out some more phanfics

Ecstasy- hormotionally
Louder- hanisnotonfire07
Colorful- danandphilphann
They are all amazing!