IV

IV

The Kidnapping

      My eyes blinked open, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion. Where the fuck was I? I glanced around, my eyes adjusting to the light that barely brightened the dark room. Nothing covered the walls, leaving them naked and exposed. I tried my arms and realized that my body was tied down to the metal chair that I stiffly sat in.

I struggled against the restraints on my wrists, pulling so hard that I felt them cut deeply into my skin. They tied my wrists, waist and my ankles making it close to impossible for me to move around or escape. The room was cloaked pitch black, something that neither frightened me nor tormented me. My mother taught me better. I couldn't help the groan that escaped my lips, struggling to move against the ropes and blowing a strand of my hair out of my face.

A sound came, along with a line of light. 

The door to the small room I was in opened, and the man who entered first switched on the lights. I narrowed my eyes trying to avoid the sudden intrusion. Head held down, I noticed that two other pairs of feet entered the room. They stood at both sides of the door, feet apart and blank looks on their faces, while the first man who entered walked around me. 

He pulled my head back by my hair making me stare right at him and I noticed he wore the same cold expression from when I met him. His eyes gave nothing away other than their black state and his lips were set in a straight line, surrounded by his stubble beard.

"What's your name? Who do you work for?" he asked. I ignored him, not giving him the benefit of a response. My eyes locked on the blank ceiling, looking past his frosty eyes.

"I asked you a question," he snapped my head back further but I still wouldn't look at him. "Who do you work for?" 

I tried moving my arms again, the ropes biting into my skin. I didn't have an answer to his question. It was another thing my mother taught me - never give out the business. All I had to do was figure out a way to get the hell out of here and everything would be fine.

"Who do you work for?" he repeated, "You won't like when I ask you again,"

Nothing.

I gave him no response closing my eyes as he pulled harder on my black hair. My jaw tightened, a slight headache resulting from the pull. If only I could get my arms loose, I thought, then I could crack this guy's head open.

He gripped my chin tightly forcing me to look into his eyes, "Do you think I'm playing with you?"

My lips quirked up. I could see the fury that rimmed his black eyes, the fire suddenly making his eyes a bit warmer. Well, someone has a temper. He released my hair for a second and backhanded my cheek. My head involuntarily twisted to the side. It stung from the slap and I bit my lip to prevent a sound. No time was wasted, he grabbed my hair again and snarled.

"Answer me!" his raised voice might as well have caused the walls to shake, anger clearly evident in it. My ears picked up on the shuffling of feet and I saw one of the men who stood at the door whispered in the ear of the man who gripped my hair. He didn't spare me a glance as he whispered, then moved off.

The man gripping my hair took a deep breath with his eyes closed. When they reopened, the coldness had taken over again.

"Are you ready to answer my questions, espía?" the man asked with a thick accent. I tried to pull my head back so I wouldn't look at him but he only gripped my hair tighter. My only response to his questions was to close my eyes again, trying as best as possible to move the restraints around my wrists.