LIII

LIII

The Secret

        There comes a time when no power is the only power you have. It's the time when you have no other option but to succumb to the greater powers that be. As I stared at the old man in front of me, I remember when I was in that position.

When I had no choice but to obey every command he gave me.

I had been tainted with the one thing mother wanted gone. A fvcking conscience. One that pitied those who were innocent and gave in to those who pledge their allegiance to me. One that saw the innocent and gave them the hope of protection. The haunting memory of that young girl who Hector killed in front of me came to mind, and I shuddered internally. I couldn't hand that fate to the one man who helped me escape.

I just... couldn't.

As I stared into the cold eyes of the old bastard, I watched the wheels turn in his head at my proposition. I knew what he wanted and, whether he liked it or not, I had him by the balls - the same way he had me one year ago. The same way he held power over me. He knew I'd one day use it as leverage, but too much was at stake to worry about that day today.

He had bigger problems in his house.

I stopped making sense of it all and if mother was here she would shake her head in disappointment. If this were her, she would've found a way out of this hell a long time ago - a way back to her reality. She wouldn't have put any life before her own. She wouldn't have stopped trying. She would've thought of a way to finish this for good. 

To finish him.

The thought of her searching tirelessly for me over the past few years pierced my soul. Don't worry mom, I'm going to end this... sooner than you think.

"Have two men follow his every move from now on. He doesn't get away with what he has done."

A clear threat was handing on his words. His cold eyes flamed, almost glossing over in heat. Betrayal didn't stand well with him. I knew that all too well.

That's why I had to be sure of what I was planning. I had to have patience. I had to be patient enough to know that if I did this, there was no coming back. It was either do or die for me. 

"Ahora!" Hector shouted. The man dashed out of the room faster than he could pee his fvcking pants. Hector gritted his teeth together, and even though his back was facing me, I could see the steam escaping his ears.

He stood like that for a moment, simply reflecting on what just happened - realizing that the game just changed and he wasn't in charge anymore. Then he turned to look at me, his nothing but clarity in his eyes. All emotions were gone; rage, disappointment, and vengeance. He wanted blood, but he was going wait for the right moment to get it.

"Anything else you want, your highness?" I asked him.

"Do not," he growled pointing his finger down at me. His spun around and waved his hand dismissively at me as he said, "get back to Ravenna."

I rolled my eyes but rose from my seat and strut out the door. The bodyguards outside the door did their part and bowed their heads at the sight of me, and I didn't spare them another glance as I walked down the dark hallway I came from.

This world wasn't meant for the good, I've said that too many times, but sometimes it's the good that are the most threatening.

At least I took care of the problem, I thought as I walked down the flight of stairs and into the arms of gold. The golden artificial lights burned as they glared at me, my eyes narrowing at the sudden intrusion. No one was in the lounge - not that anyone would be here tonight. The other jewels would be at the apartment enjoying their weekend off. The only one that would be here is -