XLIV

XLIV

The Undoing

           Anger quietly hummed through my body as I stared at the man sitting across the table from me. He didn't seem to pay any attention to my glaring, which pissed me off even more. He'd taken me to a formal Italian restaurant where customers dined in absolute comfort and elegance. People chatting lightly and the soft music playing in the background complemented the ambiance of the place.

I scowled at the tight black dress he made me wear, pulling on the material so it stopped closer to my knees. It kept riding up every time I shuffled and moved, and it irritated the fvck out of me. His short sleeve black button up shirt clung to his biceps when he stretched across the dark wooden table for his menu.

"It's a lovely night, si?"

Oh, you have got to be fvcking kidding me. Small talk? Really?

"Let's get this over with," I growled at him. Shaking his head, he chuckled lightly.

"You're the one who wanted out of the apartment, angelita," he pointed out as he dark eyes scanned the menu, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"Signore Donté," I hear an overzealous voice coming our way.

"Raoul," Axel greets. Turning my gaze to the man, I took in his Italian features. He was just a little boy, maybe in his mid-teens. Dark hair, heavily gelled so it slicked down his head, boyish features, and pouty lips. His strong cologne engulfed me and his charming smile dazzled under the calm golden rays of artificial lighting.

"Always pleasure to have you, Signore!" his eyes turned to me with interest, "Ah, and you come with beautiful, beautiful woman. Ciao bella," as he said this, he scooped up my hands into his and planted kisses on the back of my palms. I took myself by surprise when a giggle escaped my lips.

"Easy there Raoul," Axel warned but you could hear the playful tone in his voice.

"Si, si, I must apologize, Signore," he bowed politely but his green eyes twinkled in amusement.

"Where's your father?" Axel asked.

"He is away on business for elder Signore Donté," the boy, Raoul, responded, "he comes back on Monday. Is there something you wish to see him for? I can deliver message, si? I am a big boy,"

Axel laughed, throwing his head back, "How about you stick to the restaurant for now?"

"Si!" he agreed happily then he dipped in his notepad, "would you like regular dish, Signore?"

Axel nodded, sparing me a glance before he spoke again, "she'll have the same."

I raised an eyebrow at him while Raoul nodded and scurried away.

"I am entitled to order my own food, you know," I said crossing my arms across my chest, "you don't even know if I'm allergic to anything,"

"You're not, and you're not entitled to anything so you'll eat what I give you and be happy about it,"

We both glared at each other and I could only hope the time would fly faster.

***

      We ate in silence. As much as I wanted to hate whatever he ordered, I couldn't. I hated that it was so mouthwatering and delicious. I moaned softly at the first fork and I felt his gaze on me as if I heard me. The food was too good so I didn't care.