XXXI

XXXI

The Betrayal

      This couldn't be happening. This couldn't have been real. I was definitely hallucinating, right? They must have hit me on the head too hard or given me some sort of drug. The man before me couldn't have been Rohan Mathews. There must have been a mistake. I stared at him in true disbelief.

This could be fvcking happening.

I stared at the man who had been in my house since I was sixteen; a man who had watched me grow and train - watched me become the woman I was today. Hell, he even showed me a few moves.

Can you tell how unbelievably surprised I am by this?

Still, I tried looking for any sort of sign that it wasn't him. Supposed it was a mask? Supposed he was being controlled? Supposed he was trying to help me by being undercover? I looked for something - anything - that would cause me to believe otherwise. This man could not be a traitor, he wouldn't do that to our family.

My mother took him in, we took him in, when he had nothing. He had no one but us, and we gave him a place to call home. We treated him like family. He ran the streets like a true Callen; we gave him that fvcking privilege. The man standing in front of me was nothing like him. This man, dressed loose grey slacks, looked at me with a blank expression as he stared at my shocked one. I looked for a flinch, an eyebrow raise, a wink. Something to tell me that he wasn't serious.

I got something different.

A small smirk touched the corner of his lips as his eyes searched my face before he looked around the room. Chuckles sounded and I ran my tongue over my teeth in frustration.

"Nothing to say, Trinity?" he asked tilting his head to the side teasingly.

Snap.

His tone alerted me of one thing: betrayal. His stance told me that I was completely alone; and his gaze flamed bitterly, coldly, telling me he was in this for himself. Walking towards me, his gaze held mine as his fingers tapped on his phone.

"Why?" I couldn't resist asking.

He breathed out a chuckle, "Why? Don't make me laugh, Trin."

"You have no fvcking reason to betray us! We treated you -"

"You should catch up on your history, sweetheart. I have every reason to betray you. Fvcking Callens. Always thought they walked on fvcking water; always thought they were the best of the best. You couldn't even hold your own with these assh0les that caught you," added with a laugh.

"We made you one of us,"

"I was your family's fvcking lapdog for years. Deva only cared for herself. Do you even know why I was there, why she let me stay there? She played me - like she played anyone else that tried to challenge her - so I played her and played her good.

Trust is never easy to gain but I gained hers. I watched her from the sidelines, being the good little puppy that she wanted me to be. I learned from her, believe it or not, the true skill of leadership. I thought she was it for me, but no one is better than Hector de Donté."

Oh, for the love of God.

He must've seen me roll my eyes because he repeated himself, "No one is better. They try to be, oh they try so hard, but just when they thought they had the upper hand, boss just rips that thought right from underneath them. He was the true monster; he was the true beast and we were all sitting in his playpen waiting to get chewed up and spat out. We were mainly pawns on his chessboard."