XLIII

XLIII

The Cage

      I thought it wasn't possible to hate this man any more than I already do, but it turns out I was wrong. I stared blankly at the bastard who had the nerve to stare right into my eyes as he pointed a gun at me once again.

The sad part is, I was unarmed.

"Is this your idea of a joke?" I asked him.

"Was it your idea of a joke to throw a knife at my head?"

I narrowed my eyes in response.

"Yeah, I didn't think so,"

"How long do you expect me to sit around and play house with you? It's been three weeks of nothing but takeout and sex with you. Despite your beliefs, I do actually need to get out of here. I feel caged and -"

"Do you think I care about your feelings?"

"I need some fresh air. I know it must be like asking for a million dollars in this hellhole, but I at least need to breathe." I continued, ignoring his interruption. His dark eyes stared at me over the crook of his gun.

"Well if you feel so fvcking miserable, then maybe I should put you out of your misery," he said, cocking the gun to the side and taking the safety off. The sun grasped onto the silver lining of the sun, the rays bouncing off the iron barrel.

I glared at him and crossed my arms across my chest.

"You and I both know you're not going to shoot me," I said. I knew he wasn't. Despite every fiber of his being that hated me right now, he wasn't going to shoot me. He stared right back at me, the gun never faltering in his hold.

"Is that right?" he mockingly asked.

"For whatever bullsh!t reason, you still need me,"

"You're hanging on the edge of a cliff, angelita, and that's because I saved your life. I'm the thing that's keeping you from falling. What makes you think I won't kill you right here and right now?"

A deafening silence followed his question, the tip of my tongue rubbing against my teeth.

"You won't shoot me," I spat, "you wouldn't -"

A loud bang cut through the air. A gasp of my own interrupted me. I wasn't sure which one came first. It might have been the ear-aching sound of the gun going off, or it might have been the involuntary gasp that escaped my lips when I saw his fingers pull the trigger.

 It might have been the ear-aching sound of the gun going off, or it might have been the involuntary gasp that escaped my lips when I saw his fingers pull the trigger

I didn't close my eyes like I did with Hector. I didn't fear death. I didn't have to. I felt like it was staring right at me. Death gazed at me blankly - darkness drew me closer.

Or was darkness closing in on me?

I felt the pain. It hurt like a fvcking b!tch. I never liked guns, I grumbly thought to myself. The bullet went straight through me and I'm sure I heard it hit the wall behind me. I looked down in disbelief, watching as the blood soaked the right arm of the white dress shirt I wore, Axel's white dress shirt. Seeing it, feeling it, made me sick.