LVIII

LVIII

The Departure

             You knew death was coming when a bullet was fired by Deva Callen. She'd made a name for herself in every fashion, making her enemies tremble in fear before her. She was cold, calculated, ruthless. She did everything for herself and had no regrets. She was who I was trained to be. Deva Callen 2.0. She'd been my idol, my hero.

All it took was one bullet to change it all.

Time stood still. It froze long enough for me to meet the hard gaze from my mother, her lips formed into a straight line. In this moment, the ice running through her veins frosted the entire room and it sent chills to my bones. She was a heartless fvcking killer, and yet, time stood at her beck and call. It froze long enough for me to feel the sting of the bullet pass through my forearm.

The shock that went through me diluted the pain. Everything seemed to happen so fast. One second I was staring at her, hoping to see the woman that raised me instead of the emotionless figure before me, the next I was on the floor with Axel bending down in from of me screaming. I couldn't hear him. I couldn't hear anyone. All I could see was her.

The guns went off and the battle had begun.

She looked both left and right before shaking her head and walking out the back, leaving me to God knows what. She just... left. I was pulled to my feet and dragged out of the warehouse with Axel still shouting at me. I shook my head, trying to shake away the shock.

"Trinity!" he shouted.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm alright," I mumbled.

He took my chin in his grip and stared into my eyes for a good fifteen seconds before peering back to the warehouse where guns were blazing. He spun back to me, his eyes now set on my injured arm, checking the damage done. Ripping a piece of his shirt, he tied a knot over the area to stop the bleeding.

"I need you to not die today," he said, "can you manage to do that?"

"It's not the first time I've been shot," I retorted, clearing referring to the time he shot me back at the apartment. He smirked.

"Your mom's a bxtch, but she's a good shot. The bullet came straight through. Flesh wound at best," he mused, rubbing his thumb under the now-closed area of my forearm. I can't believe she shot me in the first place. Grinding my teeth together, I stood looking at the war between us and them in the warehouse, finding a new motivation for my freedom. Anger.

Family meant nothing to me now, especially if mother was willing to shoot her own flesh and blood. If that's the way they wanted to play, then let's play. I grabbed my knives that hung at my waist, staring down at Axel.

"Let's kill these bastards,"

We marched in, Axel taking the lead with me watching his back. He had his guns drawn, just as prepared for the fight as I was. Somewhere in the battle, parts of the roof had fallen and was now being used as a cover for some of our guys. Jackson glanced at us as we approached, prepared to shoot if necessary.

"What the fvck took you both so long?" he shouted with a scowl on his lips as he crouched behind the rusted metal with his gun in his hand.

"They were probably out there making some babies!" Lynx shouted from beside him as he leaned up from his crouched position to fire a few shots before bending down again.

"Shut the fvck up!" I shouted back at them. I wasn't at all surprised when Lynx chuckled at my retort.

"Where's Nick and Caroline?" Axel asked.