XXIII

XXIII

The Basics

       "You have to pay attention!" the man in front of me screamed frustratedly, "there's a particular way to package all this shit. It's not a fvcking free for all!"

"Jackson, chill out will you?" another said from across the room, his dark hair falling down his face. He didn't even look up, his main aim was the gear that he was tinkering with. Taking my eyes away from him, I looked back at Jackson who now wore a scowl on his lips.

"Don't you have somewhere to be, Lynx?"

Across the room, I could see his smirk but he still didn't take a glance in this direction, "I am where I'm supposed to be, don't you worry your small OCD head around it,"

Jackson's scowl deepened before his eyes flashed back at me, "There is a particular way to package the merchandise. You have to follow the procedure step by step. No fvcking mess ups." With that being said, he walked away and I got a clear view of the bold writings on the back of his army green shirt.

PRICELESS.

I looked down at the product in my hand, sadly wrapped, and sighed. I didn't know what the fvck to do with this shit. I mean, sure, don't get me wrong I had tons of experience with dealing with drugs. My mother ran the best drug distribution there is, but I had no idea how the packaging process was done. All I knew about were the sales and who I was set out to kill if the cash didn't come in on time.

Now I was looking down at the bag of powder and had no idea what to do with it. But this was the job now, I had to get used to it. The same was expected of me to get used to this fvcking place. The walls were grey and there were six dark tables laid out across the small room.

Only three of us were in here: Jackson, Lynx and me. I had met the entire department already and it shocked me how small the entire team was. They told me of a man who was the manager of the entire division, but I shouldn't worry myself about him because I wouldn't see him at all; which therefore brought Nick into the spotlight - he was the assistant manager. Next, we had Jackson, who was a bucket of sunshine if you couldn't tell already. The day I met him, he gave me the best death glare I'd ever since in my life, and trust me, I'd seen plenty.

Next, I met Lynx, and I noticed how motivated he was to pissing Jackson off, especially given his OCD. I could see us being friends - you know, if I wasn't planning my next escape and killing anyone who stood in my way. Lastly, we had KC. With the way his eyes flirtatiously stared me down, I could tell we would have problems in the near future.

"What are you doing just standing around?!" Jackson shouted, drying his hands with paper towels as he walked towards me.

I didn't respond to him.

He growled and threw down the paper towels before he grabbed up the sadly wrapped bag of drugs and laid it out neatly on the table.

"I'm showing you this once more and once more only," he exclaimed, his frustration evident in his deep voice. He grabbed a new plastic wrap and carefully placed the drugs down. Evenly. Neatly. He knew what he was doing, he knew how to get it down. Must've counted every inch of the wrap, I thought to myself as I saw him shuffling the drug around the plastic. His thick eyebrows were furrowed in concentration.

"The package itself needs to be in the center of the wrap, with all four corners exactly six-point-two centimeters away from the package. That distance gives the package perfect space for wrapping. Our clients expect their merchandise to be packaged properly. We have a certain reputation to uphold and I will not let you screw with that,"

"You don't have to keep up with Mr. OCD here, Trinity," Lynx intercepted. I resisted the urge to laugh at Jackson's face when he said that.

"Lynx, don't you have somewhere to be?" Jackson asked once again, only his tone was much much harsher.

"Right here," replied Lynx obnoxiously.

Jackson closed his eyes letting out some steam before he reopened them and focused on me.

"We're doing this all day, so better get started,"

________

       And that's what we fvcking did. We spent all day trying to get the drugs packaged according to the standards of Jackson, who's been folding his arms across his chest with a pout on his lips. He watched me work very carefully, muttering to himself incoherent words about new 'employees'.

After hours and hours of mad labour, I was set free and Lynx walked me back to my room. My eyes ventured up and down as we walked down the hallway. The sun took its leave hours ago, the dark skies and the moonlight shone through the broken shards of glass. Another day had passed. Another day wasted in this hellhole. My brows furrowed at the thought. I had to think of a plan, and fast. I couldn't let -

What the...?

Was I seeing correctly?

I had to pause in my stead to really make sense of the sight before my eyes. They were so well hidden too, or so they thought. The door was slightly cracked, letting the moonlight saunter in. Hunched over, Nick had his arm against the wall with a small Caroline under his hold. I looked at Caroline trying to find the fear in her eyes, or a plan to escape this monster, but there was none. Instead, a blush rose to her cheeks when he whispered something in her ear.

I saw his hand go to her neck before taking its own sweet to her tainted cheeks, caressing it lightly.

"Why'd you..." Lynx began questioning before he noticed what I had my eyes on. He didn't say anything else, just observed the scene before us. He watched as Nick drove in slowly, going in for the kiss, and decided it was enough so he cleared his throat. The young, and rather odd, couple jumped apart at the unexpected intrusion.

I glimpsed Caroline's cheeks flush an even deeper shade of red at getting caught just before the door slammed shut, assumingly by Nick himself. I heard Lynx chuckle deeply beside me before he threw his arm over my shoulder and pulled me along.

"Come on, commoner," he said, "time for a good night's sleep."

******

Hey guys! Happy Friday :D

How are you all doing? Fine, I hope. What did you guys think of this week's chapter? Thankfully it was done on time beause I've been so sick lately :'(

What did you guys think of the new division Trinity's in? And the new characters introduced? Jackson's bit of a control freak haha, Lynx is just adorably funny. The huge release was Caroline's beau!

Who's team Nick and Caroline? Give me a cute ship name for them! :D

Throw your comments in! Tell me what you think will happen next!

See you all next week :D

Copyright © Ashleigh Parkers 2016