XLIX

XLIX

The Hook

       My eyes scanned the packed room, watching men and women grind on each other as if they weren't close enough; as if they needed to get closer. The vibrant red lights beamed across the crowd, dancing just as wildly. Familiar faces took their positions on the high rise, seducing the men beneath them.

My eyes glanced to my right, narrowing at the beautiful women beside me. Jewels. The word triggered something Ravenna said earlier.

We all have our pasts, our secrets.

What could they be hiding? How did they get involved with Hector De Donté? These women didn't fit in the criminal world, especially that b!tch Aria, so how did they get here?

Venus' blue orbs connected with mine, shining mischievously.

"Let's dance!" she shouted excitedly over the music. Before I could utter a word, she grabbed my hand and pulled me to stand. I didn't move an inch further.

"No way are you getting me out there,"

She giggled. "No no, not down here, sweetie. Up there."

My eyes followed her perfectly manicured finger, noticing the black glass box hovering the front door. It must've been too dark for me to notice it the last time I was here and I could definitely see why. It was tinted dark, taking the shape of an oval cylinder.

"It's much nicer up there, trust me,"

And it was.

The room was definitely more spacious than I would've guessed, and it was completely lined with expensive lounge sofas and a midnight black bar with yellow lights outlining the liquor storage carved into the wall. Venus pulled me across the glass floors, with Desiree in tow, to one of the black lounge chairs, grinning at my shocked expression.

"The pleasures of being a Jewel, babe," she said, adding a wink before she turned and waved the bartender over.

"Damn right," Desiree agreed, "I never thought I'd enjoy life again but look at us now."

"Ladies," the bartender greeted when he stood by our table, "what can I get you?"

"Three glasses of Pazos," Venus ordered, winking seductively at the bartender who blushed and scurried away. I couldn't help but shake my head and smile.

***

       I hated how comfortable I was getting in this situation but I couldn't help it. With a glass of white wine in my hand, I sat back comfortably looking at the women before me.

"So what's your story?" I openly asked as I took a sip from my glass, closing my eyes and letting myself get lost in the taste.

When I opened them, I saw them both looked at each other. While Desiree seemed more hesitant than Venus, none offered any words.

"You all have stories, that's what Ravenna said," I added, my eyes darting between them both.

Desiree rash ran a hand through her hair as she sighed.

"True, we all have our stories, our histories, our pasts. It's a part of who we are. Some may have it worse than others, but that's what it is," she said.

"Really," Venus giggled, "that's the speech you're going with?"

Desiree rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest.