LX

LX

The Ruins

                "There's nothing more disappointing than two disappointments,"

I gapped at the voice, unable to keep the shock off my face. My shoulders tensed and my throat dried up, keeping my gaze forward and wishing I didn't just hear that. Wishing that I didn't hear her.

Axel spun around before I did and I saw him pull a gun out, his arms flexing as he did so.

"I thought you said you were out?" I asked him quietly, not finding the strength to turn around.

He shrugged. "I picked one up from the guys outside."

"Drop the gun, boy," she calmly said, "I wouldn't want you to shoot your foot with it."

Axel didn't respond, but he certainly didn't drop the weapon.

"What's wrong, Trinity? Afraid to look your mother in the eyes? Afraid to see my disappointment?"

At that, I turned around slowly, a look of disbelief clouding my expression. Her maroon red hair brightened in the evening's sunset, sitting just above her shoulders as she leaned against the wall with her arms crossed. She was calm, cool, and collected. Her easy going expression told me that she wasn't fearful, not even a little bit, of the outcome of events following this conversation.

She'd fvcking better be.

The anger was back and blazing. My eyes locked in on her as my thoughts ran wild. What kind of mother would leave her only child to a fate worse than death? What kind of mother would willingly choose herself over her only child? What kind of mother would shoot her only child simply to make a point to her enemy?

Whoever that described, I didn't want as a mother. She could burn in hell for all I care.

We stared each other down, and I made her see the revolting anger that boiled inside me. There was nothing anyone could say that would make me back down from a fight with this woman.

"You know, there has never been a time where you've proved me wrong about you," she started, "You've always proved to be nothing. I trained you - night and day - in the hopes of you being a reflection of myself. A cold-blooded killer. You're nothing."

This was the woman who trained me to follow her every move, to follow her every instruction. She was right. She did train me to be a ruthless, cold-blooded killer like herself. If she thought I wasn't that, she was about to find out who her daughter was.

"You want to try saying that again, mom? I couldn't quite hear you over the sound of your gun pointing towards me. Ooh, that's right!" my sarcasm was on full force as I glared at her. She was unarmed and unable to stop any fight coming her way. What gave her the right?

She did nothing but let out a breathless chuckle.

"If you think your little pitbull scares me, then you have another thing coming,"

Axel didn't like that very much.

"What the fvck did you just call me?" he growled as he stepped forward, his gun still raised. Mother didn't even bat an eye.

"Put the gun down before you hurt yourself, kid,"

Axel didn't let up at all and I'm glad he didn't. His eyes were locked on her, prepared to take the shot if it came to that. His jaw was tightening with every second that passed and his shoulders were tense. I could still see the blood running from his injured arm but he didn't seem at all affected by it. All he cared about was his target. Fvck, I'd let him shoot her too after the hell she put me through all these years.