chapter 2: the brute in the bar (Lyle)

CHAPTER 2

THE BRUTE IN THE BAR (LYLE)

I got to my apartment within 10 minutes. I didn’t stop running. I quickly dumped everything out of my backpack and ran for my closet and threw socks, shirts, pants, just about any article of clothing into the bag.  I ran back to the school making sure that nobody saw me. When I got there Jyro was resting near a tree in the quad area.

“Are you ready?” he asked.

“Where are we going?” I asked

“Where going to the town of Beerstein for the night. It’s about 1 light rail trip away. If we go now we can make it by dawn.”

“Got it” I said to Jyro, and we made our way to the light rail station.

I noticed that the cut on his cheek didn’t heal like his other wounds did.

“So who were those people back there?” I asked Jyro as I gave the man at the light rail station my ticket.

“They were some of Lucifer’s men, that’s why were leaving, there could be a lot more there so were going to a town full of drunks for a night and then were going to the town that never was.” He said

“Why are we going there?” I asked Jyro.

“We need to unlock your spirit weapon and spirit animal. Normally you only get them if you’re dead but you’re a special case.” He said.

“How so”? I asked.

“Well you’re a mixed breed like me but you’re not a regular mixed breed. I’m half mortal and half demon, your half demon and angel and that normally means that you don’t have to die to get your powers. I was about your age when I got mine so you should get those things sometime soon during your first life but I’m not exactly sure when. Here is how things work, whenever a mortal dies their spirit is re-incarnated in the body of either a demon or an angel depending on their choices in their first life. Some demons or angels fall in love with either the opposite creature or a mortal and well, live their lives as mortals and make half demons like me. Now normally after you become a demon or an angel you get a spirit weapon, but, if you are half demon or angel, you don’t have to die to get your spirit powers since you were already born transcendent. Those powers consist of being able to summon your spirit weapon, your spirit animal, the obvious perk of being extremely faster and stronger than full mortals, and being able to heal against mortal weapons instantly. Those bullets were that of a mortal but this cut on my cheek is different. That’s because it’s from a demon blade that the man was holding. That’s why it didn’t heal like the bullet holes.”

“Oh…that makes sense.” I said to Jyro sleepily, I hadn’t realized that I was so tired from that battle earlier today. “Hey why were you at the town square when I was fighting those guys? I asked Jyro.

“OH! I almost forgot, before your father died I was asked by him to take care of you in a safe location. So I brought you to starlight city and took you to the orphanage. I’ve been watching you ever since you were a kid. Every scrape, every bump and bruise, every time you got beat up at school, I was watching to make sure that you didn’t get captured by Lucifer and his men”, Said Jyro.

“So why didn’t you stop those things from happening”? I asked.

“I’m not supposed to interfere with other peoples’ lives and you weren’t supposed to know that I was there.” Said Jyro

“Well that makes sense I guess” I said.

I said nothing after that; I was still trying to absorb all of what had just happened. I tried to stay awake but I ended up sleeping on the light rail. When I woke up we, were at some town that had a lot of lights. We got out of the light rail and walked for about a half hour to a bar.