It's A Family Affair

Mandy's POV

Wandering into the dining room, my insides chewing their way through the amazon rain forest, I felt so scared, scared of what I do not know.

I looked up, Great the whole dining room was looking at me now.

I noticed Dawn as she put some plates down in front of a couple who were staying here, but weren't part of the film crew and she gave me a smile and mouthed 'lucky bitch'.

This believe it or not boosted my confidence, hell I could do this I could face this man and listen to his lame excuses as to why he did what he did to me.

So straighten my stance, putting a big smile on my face, I marched to the Jackson's table.

"Everything okay" I asked approaching the table, I received a few mmm's and a great.

Then Mrs Jackson pulled a chair out.

"Mandy please sit, you promised to spend breakfast with us"

I duly sat between Mrs Jackson and Jasper.

"I can only stay a few minutes I'm afraid, as duty calls"

"This is a lovely place you have here" Mr Jackson stated looking around.

"I could envisage staying here all the time, when we visit Woodstock"

"Thank you, you know your welcome anytime" I replied.

"Careful what you say" piped up Diane "They'll take you up on it, I for one will be applying to an Oxford college for next year"

That got everyone's attention.

"You want to come here" Mrs Jackson asked in dismay.

"Yes I have good friends here" staring directly at me.

"Oh!" Voiced Mr Jackson, as he looked from Diane to me and back again.

"Yes" continued Diane oblivious to the looks she and I were getting from the rest of the family.

"Mandy, the girls and I had a girly night out last night, we went to the pub and I had some local ale and we played in a pub quiz, it was so much fun" she gushed.

As my eyes travelled around the table, I could feel my cheeks heating up, as everyone was looking at me and as my eye's landed on Jasper he raised his eyebrows, I had a feeling they were waiting for me to speak, but I didn't know what to say, so I played it safe.

"Yer it was a really good evening and Diane's celebrity knowledge won us a prize" I mumbled.

"Oh that's nice" said Mrs Jackson.

The conversation died at this point and I decided now was the ideal time to make my exit.

"Well it's been nice catching up with you, but I must get on now" as I placed my hands on the table to stand, I felt a familiar hand rest on top of mine.

"I will walk you to your office" came that deep husky masculine voice that had me shivering in anticipation everytime he spoke to me.

"It's okay" I managed to squeak out "You can stay and finish your breakfast"

"No, it's fine, I will walk with you" as his hand tightened around mine plus it was more a command than a request.

"Okay then that will be nice" I answered still in a high pitched voice.

So we stood and walked out of the dining room, with Jasper refusing to let go of my hand.

"Look Mandy I am really, really fond of you, in fact I like you a hell of a lot"

"You like me, but how we hate each other"

"Do you really hate me" he whispered.

That made me stop and recall that I'd had similar conversations with Diane and the girls, but I hadn't really believe them, I couldn't believe them, I knew I didn't hate him, at first hell yes, but his persistence has been changing my opinion of him, I'm thinking less about the bad times and more of the good and I smile when I think of Jasper not scowl anymore.

So when I think of it, no I don't even dislike him anymore, I'm not sure what my feelings are for him, definitely not hate, so on that basis I must like him, good logic right?

"Well no I don't hate you anymore, despise and loath maybe, but hate no".

It's my defence mechanism kicking in, when the conversation gets serious and I struggle to cope, I deal with it using sarcasm, works for me.

But this time I got the distinct impression I had said something wrong, the look on Jasper's face turned from hope to despair, I had never seen him like this before, almost like he was about to cry.

I felt a pain in my stomach, the pain of upsetting someone who meant something to me, so I had to straighten this out immediately.

"Just kidding" I laughingly said waving my arm about "Of course I like you"

"You do?"

What is it with him, why is liking him so important, but if it makes him happy, fine!

"Yes I really do" and I smiled a genuine smile of affection.

Next thing I know, I am in his arms and we are kissing, again my body reacts to his touch, my arms around his neck and returning the kiss.

Why did I feel so warm and safe with this man, the man who had lied to me constantly, who had forced me to dine with his parents, go to Hollywood, even fly in a damn helicopter.

As his lips slow left mine, open, exposed and cold, I thought I heard a whisper through my dreamy kiss induced state.

"In fact I think, no! I know I falling for you Amanda Clayton in a big way"

"What did you say" I murmered.

Then like a bucket of cold water in the face, it hit me what he said.

"Yo.., your joking right?"

Oh dear he maybe the world's biggest liar, but I'm far better at saying the wrong thing and putting my foot in it.

His eyes darkened and his face took on a grim expression.

"Forget I said anything, why is everything a joke to you" he said in pure frustration.

"Hey" I whispered, grabbing his arm "I'm sorry it's what I do when I'm struggling with something, make a joke, it's just nobody's ever fallen for me and when I get a rich, sexy guy say it to me, I kinda freaked out, sorry, forgive me"

"So you think I'm sexy?"

Why is it that guys miss the point of a whole conversation and settle on the one thing that inflates their ego.

"Well I've had better" see foot in mouth big problem with me.

"Joking" I added quickly "I'm sorry I've just never done really serious before, because it's never happened before"

"I think that's why I'm falling for you"

Oh shit! I hadn't misheard, he did say it, I'm going to freak out any minute now, I'm no good at this sort of thing, I don't know what to say or do.

Sure I like him, I like him a lot, but this is too much for me to deal with, affections are not my strong point.

Can you see me freaking out about now?

"Umm, thanks, I Umm like you to"

So what does one say in these situations?

"God I love it when your hard edge disappears and I get to the gorgeous, beautiful woman hidden under that facade, I knew I could easily fall in love with you"