s e v e n t e e n

"November--" Harry was about to say something, but someone swung open the door and his head turned to look "Professor Lupin!"

Professor Lupin motioned Harry to step out of the way, which he did immediately obeyed. The professor kept his wand pointed at Sirius as Harry backed off.

"Looking a bit ragged, aren't we, Sirius?" He said "Finally the skin reflects the madness within."

"You'd know all about the madness within, wouldn't you, Remus?" Sirius said.

The sudden tension between the two stopped me in my trance as I was about to walk towards them. Then, a grin spread on both of their faces, Sirius took Professor Lupin's hand and they hugged like brothers. I let out a sigh, not realizing I had been holding my breath.

"Merlin's beard, you two scared the hell out of me." I said as they chuckled.

"No!" Hermione shouted, making us turn to her "I trusted you! I covered up for you! And all this time you've been his friend! And you too, Nov! I thought we were friends!" Then she turned back to Harry and Ron, pointing at Professor Lupin "He's a werewolf! That's why he's been missing classes."

We all stared at her eye-widened. Sirius gave out a bitterly amused noise as I shook my head at him, silently telling him to calm down.

"How long have you known?" Professor Lupin asked.

"Since Professor Snape set the essay." She said.

"You're the brightest witch of your age I've ever met, Hermione." He complimented her.

"Yes, you glow like the sun, you howl at the moon." Sirius said impatiently "Enough talk! He dies. Now. If you won't do it with me, Remus, I'll do it alone."

"Wait, Sirius..."

"I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban!" Sirius exclaimed.

"Very well, kill him!" Professor Lupin gave Sirius his wand and he snatched it "But wait one more minute, Harry has the right to know why."

"I know why." Harry said "You betrayed my parents. You're the reason they're dead."

"No, Harry, he didn't." I said "That's not true."

"It wasn't him. Somebody did betray your parents, but it was somebody who until quite recently I believed to be dead." Professor Lupin said.

"Who is it?" Harry shouted.

"Peter Pettigrew." Sirius said "He's in this room, right now." Then he raised his voice "Come out, come out Peter! Come out, come out and play!"

Suddenly, I saw a black streak running up the stairs. It was Snape. He ran towards us, his wand in hand.

"Expelliarmus." He said and knocked the wand out of Sirius' hand.

They whipped around to stare at the Potions teacher pointing his wand at them, on his face displayed a smug smile.

"Ah, vengeance is sweet." Snape said "How I hoped I'd be the one to catch you."

"Severus--" Professor Lupin was going to stop him, but he pointed his wand at him too.

"I told Dumbledore you're helping an old friend enter the castle and now, here's the proof." He said.

"Then did you tell Dumbledore I'm the student that has been helping them?" I stepped in between the Potions teacher, Sirius and Professor Lupin, defending them.

He didn't answer me, but I could see a tinge of disappointment and shock in his dark eyes. He disarmed me, sending my wand flying to the wall behind me.