t h i r t y - e i g h t

"They keep a close eye on the wall where Neville found the room, you better go the other way to avoid them." I told Hermione when she was taking her book of a shelf behind me.

"How is things with the Squad?" She asked as she was examined the book "They haven't suspected you, have they?"

"Not yet." I mumbled "But Parkinson is starting to feel something going on behind their backs. She finally has her thick head working at some point."

The library, despite how outrageous it sounded when students roamed here all the time, was actually the safest place for Hermione and I to exchange information. It had been going on for months now, the army was doing well, much to my gladness. According to Hermione, they had learned loads of useful spells and counter-curses in case they had to face Death Eaters, though I must say they would hardly have any chance to face Voldemort's follower when Dumbledore was still around and Umbridge was still in the way. Hermione and I had some private meetings in an empty classroom every Wednesday night, thanks to Sirius we had found a secret passage leading right into the room. If Filch ever found out about it, we could always use the Memory Charm like Lockhart used to do. Never thought I would say that.

The Order, of course, still had a lot of problems with the Ministry, mainly between Dumbledore and Cornelius Fudge. They tried their best to send me notes, summarizing whatever they had done every week to keep me updated since I was still a member even if I was still in school. Molly never wanted to write to me, she was one to protest against Dumbledore's idea of having me in the Order in the first place. Every time Sirius or Lupin wrote to me, they would scold me because of Harry and I's attitude towards each other.

Can you two just talk and sort things out already? You're my friend, he's my Godson, for Merlin's sake.

That came with the note that had just arrived this morning. He still had no idea about the army, but I think Dumbledore had a shrewd idea about it. Normally, Dumbledore was always right.

In the Squad, I had gained all their trust, except for Parkinson and Umbridge. Parkinson just gladly showed it on her face every time she saw me. Umbridge didn't show any sign, but I had a hunch that she wasn't one that believed me and the things I said. She always seemed to be plotting something every time I met her, probably was to get Dumbledore out of the school or expose me.

Another reason for Parkinson to hate me was that Malfoy had been spending a lot more time with me than her. He would walk with me to classes, sit next to me during lessons and eat meals with me. We would constantly be engaged in a conversation, something that Parkinson would love to have with him. And guess what, he gave me a birthday present, yet he totally forgot about hers. I could still remember her face when he surprised me with a wrapped box with a necklace inside when I got down to the common room first thing in the morning.

Last year, George made it clear that I liked Draco Malfoy. I wasn't really sure, I still thought it was a maybe that day. After that, all those events just drowned me and I pushed my feelings for him aside. Now, I didn't know anymore. Most of the time, we would talked normally, even flirting and joking. But there would be moments when I blushed, or just got lost in his eyes. It wasn't the best time for my emotions to resurface.

"It amazes me how they can still hate you that much after months." Hermione said.

"It doesn't amaze me at all." I picked up another book "They had always wanted a reason to hate me. I gave it to them."

"Midnight tonight?" She asked.

"Yeah." I murmured "Be on time."

"I'm never late." She said.

"Said the girl who came half an hour late because of Ron Weasley." I rolled my eyes.

"He didn't stop talking." She sighed.

"We might as well stop for a while after this week." I said "Christmas is coming."

"Will you go home?" She asked. Home was now 12 Grimmauld Place with Sirius and the Order.

"No, I'll do my work here." I said.

"Harry's coming." She whispered "See you then."

"See you then."

I left the library with my book and made my way towards the Great Hall. Dinner would be ready soon, if I got there early, I could finish soon and return to the common room, that would help me avoid contact with anyone. I had been like that for months, eat early and leave early. I never lingered in one place long enough for someone to engage me in a conversation. But that really didn't work on Malfoy. He always came and sat with me the moment I sat down.

"How was your day, Avery?" He set his book next to him and sat down in front of me, leaning forward a bit with a smirk.

"Great, as usual." I restrained myself from an eye roll.

"Are those Mudbloods and blood-traitors still bothering you?" He asked.

"So concerned now, are we? It's been months, the story's fading."

"Not really. I hexed a second-year twat this morning when he spread rumors about you." He chewed on his blueberry pie.

"If you think rumors can get me down, you're wrong." I said.

"Really? Cause you look like you lack of sleep and lost some weight over the months." He leaned forward "I know how they're affecting you."

"Maybe you don't know that much about me." I smirked.

"You think?" He raised an eyebrow "Eat, love, you haven't touched anything."

"I don't have an appetite."

"See what I mean? Eat."

"Fine." I grunted as he chuckled at his little success.