f o u r t y - e i g h t

The dinner party with Professor Slughorn was simply devastating, as some might say. I sat next to Hermione, and I had to try my best not to groan, roll my eyes or vomit every time Cormac McLaggen winked at Hermione. Hermione had the tendency to attract assholes like that, I never knew why? He reminded me of Stywrick the Durmstrang brick I met during the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Devastating.

The only spotlight of the night was when Ginny came in when we were about to have desserts. Her eyes were red and puffy, she had been crying. She probably fought with Thomas again. Not that I found that any funny, not at all. In fact, Hermione and I chuckled in amusement when Harry suddenly sprung up onto his feet when he saw Ginny. It was weird and mostly awkward, but not to mention adorable.

Professor Slughorn spent time to ask each and every student invited to his dinner party about their family, and was extremely interested in those whose parents he taught in Hogwarts, except for Harry and I. He knew for one that he shouldn't bring up our dead parents at a supposed-to-be-fun party, it would ruin the moment and also, he was one of those teachers who never wanted to get on bad terms with his brightest students.

On the shelf at the back of the room, unnoticed by many were full of pictures of his old students. I could spot Lily, Harry's mother and Regulus Black, Sirius' younger brother in the very front. Far to the right corner, I didn't think for any second that any one had paid attention to, was a picture of Crystal Avery, supposedly my aunt. At first glance, even I would be mistaken myself because of how alike we were. I knew something about her that no one knew, at least for now until I had to reveal the truth about myself.

Late in the evening, we were excused and went back to our dormitories for a good sleep. Walking back to the common room, I realized that the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin would be tomorrow morning. This was one of those times I wouldn't cheer for any team, I loved Gryffindor and Slytherin.

In the morning, I sat with Hermione at breakfast, next to her was Harry and in front of us was the devastated Ron Weasley, their brand new Keeper. He looked like a nervous wreck, he barely made it through the try-outs against McLaggen last time. I didn't blame him, it was his first match, and it was against one of the most powerful Quidditch team in Hogwarts. Slytherins weren't easy to beat.

But to say I was completely in trust with my House team would be a lie. Their seeker, Draco Malfoy, looked ill these days. I was getting worried, to be honest, whenever I looked into his dull grey eyes or watching him striding past me in the hallway as his sickly white skin shone signs of tiredness and stress. He didn't take my advices to rest.

"Good luck, eh, Ron?" Neville walked by and smiled.

"Counting on you, Ron." Finnigan said, approaching the redhead "I've two Galleons on Gryffindor."

Ron glanced at the Slytherin team, they sniggered as a boy jutted his chin and whispered something about Ron. The Gryffindor Keeper sat down glumly, poking his plate with his fork absent-mindedly. Harry looked at him knowingly while I stared daggers at the Slytherin team. Malfoy, however, didn't even laugh at Ron, he was staring into the blank space.

"So. How was it?" Ron asked.

"How was what?" Hermione asked.

"Your dinner party." Ron said with a mock refinement.

"Dead boring." Hermione said scanning through the Daily Prophet in her hands "Though I think Harry enjoyed dessert."

Though she tried to hide it, I saw a glimpse of her smile behind the papers. She did think about Harry and Ginny.

"Old Sluggy's having a Christmas do, you know." She continued "And we're meant to bring someone..."

"I expect you'll be going with McLaggen." Ron had a distaste venom in his voice as he spoke the name "Isn't he a member of the Slug Club?"

"Actually, I was going to ask you." Hermione said, slightly angered.

"Really?"

"Really. But seeing as you have such a distaste for the idea--"

"You know what? I'm not bringing anyone." I interrupted it before they started a fight or something, like last time they did after the Yule Ball, Harry looked at me appreciatedly "I asked him if I could come alone and he said yes. But it was an exception, I don't think he'll let any of you off the hook."

"He did?" Harry exclaimed "Well he sure favors you."

"Harry Potter, if for one second you think it's favoritism again I'll--"

"Okay okay, it's not." He raised his hands in defeat "Merlin, you're scary."

Lavender Brown, someone Hermione would want to meet the least at the moment, passed our table and stopped when she reached Ron. She beamed at the sight of his redhead. That girl had been fawning over our Weasley friend since the beginning of the year, Hermione and I would be the last ones to support if Ron ever got into a relationship with Brown. And not to mention she was that Trelawney-worshipping girl along with Parvati Patil.

"Good luck today, Ron!" She chirped "I know you'll be brilliant."

Hermione threw daggers at the girl as she trotted to the other end of the table to join her friends. I nudged her to reset the angry face to its neutral expression, and reminded her about being a little bit too obvious. She calmed down, of course.

"I'm resigning." Ron announced "After today's match, McLaggen can have my spot."

How did everything have to point back to McLaggen?

"Have it your way." Harry said, surprisingly calm "Juice?"

"Sure..." Ron said, looking mildly put off.

As Harry poured something I was sure was Felix Felicis into Ron's cup, Luna came and sat down by Ron. She was supporting Gryffindor, it was obvious thanks to her giant hat that had an uncanny resemblance to a real lion's head. She was also wearing a yellow dress, one of Gryffindor's colors. She casted her dreamy eyes on all four of us and beamed.

"Hello, everyone." She said softly and rather dreamily "You look dreadful, Ron."

"Nice hat." I pointed out, chowing down my toast.

"Thanks." She smiled and turned to Harry "Is that why you just put something in his cup? Is it a tonic?"

Ron, who was in the middle of his gulp, stopped and looked at Harry. Hermione turned to him with her eyes widened in surprise. They both caught a glimpse of a tiny vial in Harry's palms and Hermione let out a gasp. I just took a sip from my cup, awaiting the next drama.

"Don't drink that, Ron!" Hermione exclaimed.

However, he didn't listen to her. Ron downed the whole thing with few gulps, slamming the empty cup onto the table. Colors seemed to have returned to his face, he looked like he was immensely happy and lucky. Hermione looked back and forth between the two boys with a disapproving look.

"You could be expelled for that." She said.

"Don't know what you're talking about." Harry said, pocketing his vial and winked at Luna.

"Come on, Harry." Ron rose in confidence from his seat "We've got a game to win."