f i f t y - o n e

"You sure you don't want to come to the Burrow for Christmas? Lupin and Tonks will be there too." Hermione said.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I nodded "I have things to do here."

"Things to do with a certain blond boy?" She whispered into my ears.

"No, why would you think like that?" I whispered back.

"Because I know you're lying." She winked "Be careful though."

"Sure." I said "Wish all of them Merry Christmas for me."

"Of course."

I watched as she made her way through the crowd and gave a little small wave before disappearing into the Hogwarts Express with Ginny and Luna. I inhaled the winter afternoon air and let it chill my lungs, my mind swimming around the thoughts of Christmas coming near. I didn't even think of that when I was at Professor Slughorn's party for the occasion. Another Christmas at Hogwarts, I guess.

I felt an arm tugging mine and turned around to meet Harry and Ron. Ron may not have noticed, but I saw how tense Harry was. Ron went to the train after wishing me a merry Christmas, and Harry remained.

"Have you talked to Snape at all lately?" Harry whispered.

"No." I said "He keeps avoiding me. Why?"

He looked around with caution before beginning.

"I think Draco Malfoy is up to something for Voldemort and Snape is helping him." And before I could say anything, he continued "He made an Unbreakable Vow to protect Malfoy, and I heard they said something about the Dark Lord chose Malfoy for the job."

"Harry--"

"I know what you're going to say, but I'm sure this time. I heard them."

"Harry, listen!" I hissed "Dumbledore trusts Snape, alright? I trust him, though he's keeping a distance from me. And about Malfoy, you're letting your hatred cloud your judgement. He's a Malfoy, his father is a Death Eater, he's mean towards you and your friends, but he's not a bad person. If you're accusing my Godfather and my fellow Slytherin for being a Death Eater, you might have to think again and give me more prove than what you overheard them talking."

"You don't just see him as a fellow Slytherin, do you?" He said, stepping away towards the train.

"What do you mean?"

"We're not blind, November. We see the way you look at him." He said "I saw you taking care of him. He's just going to hurt you."

"No one's going to hurt me, Harry." I said.

"You're fraternising with the enemy."

"I'm a Slytherin even if I'm loyal to Dumbledore or not and though I'm your friend, Harry Potter, I don't go with the Gryffindor's way. I'm a Slytherin, he's a Slytherin, we're House mates and in that case, you've always been an enemy." I hissed.

I stomped back to the castle and through the snow angrily as I heard the Hogwarts Express's whistle blowing behind me. Pulling my coat closer to my body, I went back inside to seek the warmth from the fireplace in my common room. The hallways were well lit, but the Muggle-repelled walls couldn't repel the biting cold of December. Only few days more till Christmas, Hagrid was putting up a new Christmas tree in our Entrance Hall, the rafters were decorated with icicles and gorgeous snowflakes falling down from the magical ceiling. Just like any other year, not many students stayed back for a Christmas at Hogwarts.

I considered what Harry had said. Though I trusted Snape, something about Harry's word seemed quite possible. Snape knew perfectly that I was a member of the Order of Phoenix, maybe he was keeping a distance from me because he was going back to the Death Eaters. But Dumbledore would know, right? Who could possibly fool Dumbledore? But again, Snape wasn't a normal wizard. In his school years, he would invented spells so he could use them on James Potter and Sirius, but he never did.

I walked past the Slytherin's entrance and came into the common room, in front of me was yet another surprise. Draco was sitting in front of the fireplace, staring at the roaring green flame as he was deep in his thoughts, his hands gripped his green apple which already had a bite mark on it. There were no signs of other Slytherins in the common room. Maybe they had all gone home, since none of them came from a chipped family like I did.

"Why are you not heading home for Christmas?" I asked and startled him.

He jumped a little and turned back to see me standing there at the entrance. Not saying a word, he scooted over and pat an empty spot on the couch next to him. I sat down, my eyes fixed on his scowling face and quite messy blond hair.

"You don't come home for two years in a row, Draco. What's wrong?"

"I'm fine. Everything's fine." He shook his head.

"No, it's not. You're not, I can tell." I said "What's going on?"

"I can't tell you." He said "At least not now."

"Then tell me when you're ready." I said "I'll go to my room."

As I stood up, he grabbed my hand. I looked back to see something vulnerable showing in his eyes, the way he looked at me softened me.

"Stay with me, please." He said "Just for tonight."

His voice pleaded, and my heart gave in with a skipped heartbeat.

"Sure."

I waved my wand for two big blankets on the couch and two mugs of hot chocolate on the wooden table in front of us. I handed him one mug as I sat down and he wrapped one blanket around my shoulders before helping himself with another one and grabbing the mug in my hand. We took a sip, let the hot liquid warm up our stomachs and let out a sigh as we watched the green flame dancing in the fireplace.

"You know, I've had four Christmases in Hogwarts." I said, changing the subject "They have something new every year, we just don't know what it is until we see it."

"Really? What's new this year then?" He asked.

"Hot chocolate." I took another sip from my cup "And no Slytherins besides the two of us."

"New things, huh?" He chuckled.

"Yeah, new things."

We scooted closer to each other and I laid my head on his shoulder, he slowly wrapped one arm around my shoulder and laid his head on top of mine. We sighed happily.

"I like it this way, you know" He said, staring at the flame "After all, this could be our last calm Christmas."

"The last?" I asked.

"War is coming, November." He said "It's going to be here soon, and soon we have to choose a side to fight on."

"Choose what your heart wants." I said "My mother told me that whenever I was unsure about something."

"I don't know what my heart wants." He said "Love or family. Desire or responsibility."

"You know what?" I watched the flame, then him "I can't decide either."