f o u r t y - n i n e

The Slytherin Quidditch team captain wasn't happy. I heard him yelling at the team for losing to the Gryffindor team with their Weasley Keeper and at Malfoy for being so distracted he couldn't spot the Golden Snitch before Harry. Slytherins hated losing, especially to Gryffindors, a trait clearly passed down by Salazar Slytherin. This time, they lost by a huge amount of points, and they also lost hope of winning back the House Cup from Gryffindor.

Even though I was permitted by Professor Slughorn that I needn't bring any partner to the next dinner party, but as Christmas was creeping nearer and nearer everyday, I couldn't help but think who I would invite to the party if I had to. I would consider Ron, but he wouldn't be happy to see Hermione with another boy, last time he had a blast because she went to the Yule Ball with Victor Krum. Harry told me he would invite Hermione if she hadn't invited anyone, but I doubted that by the moment he decided to open his mouth about it, she was already a step ahead. Finnigan would be a nice choice, he helped me a lot last year when I had to walk around with crutches, but he wasn't the type for parties. Neville was a no for me, though I adored him. I didn't know many guys in Hogwarts, though.

When I thought about the Christmas party, a certain blond boy did pop up in my mind. I would consider inviting him if he hadn't been hating me so much. I wondered what it would be like to hang out with him there, it shouldn't be a bad experience, should it?

I continued my walk down the hall and saw Ron hand in hand with Brown, running down the stairs, both had this horrified look on their faces. They didn't notice that I was around since they were deep in their conversation.

"What's wrong with her, Lav? She doesn't have to be so bloody mean." Ron exclaimed.

"Oh Won-Won, I'm sure it's nothing. She's just having a bad day, I guess." Brown cooed.

What in the bloody eighteen hells was that? Won-Won? Lav? I would vomit if there wasn't so many people around. I bet Hermione wasn't so pleased right now.

I went towards the room they ran away from and opened the door, only to be nearly attacked by a flock of scarlet birds until Hermione realized I wasn't Ron or Brown. She was crying into Harry's chest as his arms wrapped around her, he had a deep frown on his face. I looked at them knowingly, then Harry stood up and claimed that he should leave us girls to our girl talks. I sat down next to her and pat her back gently. She didn't say anything.

"I know how it feels, Hermione." I said "I know exactly how it feels when you have to look at the one you love being around another person, how it feels when he doesn't know or appreciate how you feel towards him."

"Is it Malfoy?" She asked between her sobs "The one you love?"

"No, why do you think of that?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Come on, he's the only one with an apple-obsession, expensive clothes, expensive Cologne and aftershave." She cocked her head.

"It's not him." I laughed "Come on, let's get you back to your common room."

Later, when I laid on my back in my dormitory, listening to Juliette's rampage about her time with Zabini, my mind continued to float to outer space. And then, that question hit me again.

"Is it Malfoy? The one you love?"

Maybe.

-----

"He's at perfect liberty to kiss whomever he likes. I really couldn't care less." Hermione ranted while walking to the library with Harry and I "Was I under the impression that he and I would be attending Slughorn's Christmas party together? Yes. Of course, now, given the circumstances, I've had to make other arrangements."

"Have you?" Harry asked.

"Really?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Yes. Why?" She asked.

"I just thought, you know, since together one of us can take who we'd really like." He said "Maybe we'd go together. As friends."

Hermione stopped in her track, staring at Harry with a bit of shock and realisation in her eyes.

"Why didn't I think of that?"

"So who are you taking?" Harry asked.

"It's a surprise." She shrugged half-heartily "Besides, it's you we need to worry about. And you can't pick just anyone. See that girl over there." She pointed at a girl standing at the other side of the hallway "That's Romilda Vane. Rumor has it she's trying to slip you a love potion."

"Really?" Harry asked.

"Last year everyone thought you're a freak and now everyone wants to slip love potion into your food." I chuckled "Nice job, Harry James Potter."

He started eyeing the girl. Romilda Vane was quite a chubby Gryffindor, her long curly brown hair passed her quite broad shoulders a bit, her brown eyes sometimes threw side glances at Harry as he walked by. Just as Hermione noticed he was considering her as a date to the Christmas party, she snapped her finger.

"Hey! She's only interested in you because she thinks you're the Chosen One."

"But I am the Chosen One." Harry said, and when Hermione cocked her head at him, exasperated and I snorted, he continued "Okay, kidding. I'll just ask someone I like. Someone cool."

And as Harry decided to search his mind for a cool person to go with him to the Christmas party, I tugged Hermione's shirt and half-dragged her to a quiet corner out of Harry's hearing range. I had an awful hunch about who she asked to go with her, I wanted to confirm it.

"Hermione, you didn't ask McLaggen, did you?" I lowered my voice.

"Well..."

"You asked him?"

"Yeah--"

"Hermione Jean Granger, if you want to make Ron Weasley jealous, at least pick someone else other than Cormac McLaggen!" I hissed "You know what he's like. He only wants to snog you."

"He was the first one popped up in my head. I wasn't thinking straight and I just--"

"Forget it, it's too late now." I said "If I were you, I would avoid all those mistletoes when he's around."

"I know that, I'm not going to snog him." She said.

"But he'll try." I said.

"What about you? If you had to invite someone, who would you go to? Malfoy?"

"Stop dragging Malfoy into this, you know we both hate each other now." I said.

"You don't sound like you mean that."

"I do. I hate him."

"Hey, are you two going to do homework or what?" Harry called.

"Coming." We both said.