s i x t y - t w o

This chapter is dedicated to Professor Minerva McGonagall's badass lines. (Honestly where can I find a teacher like her? She's awesome)

"I know that many of you will want to fight. Some of you may even think this wise. But this is folly." Voldemort's voice floated in the air "I wish you no harm. I have great respect for the students of Hogwarts. I was once one myself after all. I ask for but one thing and if granted no magical blood shall be spilt. Give me Harry Potter. Do this and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded."

It was only a whisper, but it reached all ears in the Great Hall of Hogwarts. The enchanted ceiling was clouded as a sign of the raging storm coming their way. And as the whisper of the Dark Lord faded, like iron attracted to the surface of a magnet, every eye found its way to Harry's face and silence fell upon them. Then, a squeaky voice sounded from the Slytherins.

"But he's there! Potter's there." Pansy Parkinson said, jabbing her finger at Harry "Someone grab him!"

Obviously some Slytherins had chosen the way to protect their necks rather than the entire wizarding world, but not everyone had. Instinctively, Ginny stood in between the Slytherins and Harry with her wand drawn from her pocket. Then, following the Weasley girl, the Gryffindors stepped up and formed a line right in front of Harry, shielding him. It didn't take long for the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs to join them. Finally, a lonely shadow at the back of the Slytherin group separated herself from her House and joined the human shield with her wand ready in her hand. Juliette Tughorn's heart had finally woken up.

Suddenly, the main entrance burst open. Filch, the caretaker, ran into the hall, his robes askew and his breath ran out. Mrs.Norris entered in between his legs with her smug cat face.

"Students out of bed!" He yelled "Students in the corridor!"

"They're supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!" Professor McGonagall said, but as Filch was about to leave, she called him back "Wait! As it turns out, Mr.Filch, your arrival is most opportune. If you would, I'd like you to lead Miss Parkinson and the rest of the Slytherin House from the Hall."

"Right away." Filch said happily, thinking of this as an opportunity to express his hate for wizarding students "Exactly where is it I'd be leading them to, ma'am?"

"I want to stay." Juliette spoke up, it was the first time anyone had heard her voice for ages "I want to fight. He killed my parents, he probably killed November as well. I want to fight."

"Very well, you can stay." Professor McGonagall said "The dungeons should do."

Cheers filled the Hall as Filch started leading the Slytherins away from the rest of the school to the dungeons. Ginny and Luna hugged Juliette tightly, happy that they got their friend back. Professor McGonagall turned to Harry whose eyes were twinkling with pride and hope.

"I presume you have a reason for returning, Potter." She said "What is it you need?"

"Time." Harry said "As much as you can give me."

"Do what you have to do. I'll secure the castle."

"Is that possible, Professor?"

"We teachers are rather good at magic, Potter. We've even been known to turn out a worthwhile witch or wizard on occasion." She said, smiling "I think it's time I ask a few of them to take their magic beyond the classroom. What do you think?"

"I think you're right." Harry looked at her and she nodded.

"By the way, Potter..." She said, sizing up Neville and the others as Harry started to exit "It's good to see you."

"You, too, Professor." Harry smiled and left.

-----

"Let me get this straight, Professor." Neville walked quickly out the main door next to Professor McGonagall, the rest of the students behind them, his face couldn't get any more confused "You're giving us permission to do this?"

"That is correct, Longbottom." She said, kept walking and didn't even look at him.

"To blow it up." Neville tried to confirm it "Boom."

"Boom." She repeated.

"Wicked." Neville said, then frowned "Exactly how do you propose we do this, Professor?"

"Why don't you confer with Mr.Finnigan? As I recall, he has a particular proclivity for pyrotechnics."

Neville and Ginny looked back at Seamus who looked horrifyingly satisfied and proud as if he just got a reward from Professor McGonagall's words. 

"I can bring her down." He said.

"That's the spirit. Now off you go."

Neville, Ginny, Seamus and the rest of Dumbledore's Army peered off to a different direction, leaving the adults behind with their business as they went to blow up some part of the castle, as Professor McGonagall had instructed. Professor Flitwick of House Ravenclaw and Madam Sprout of House Hufflepuff, along with Molly Weasley, approached her with a mixture of worries and excitement.

"You realize, of course, that nothing we do will be able to keep out You-Know-Who indefinitely?" Professor Flitwick said.

"That doesn't mean we can't hold him up." Madam Sprout said.

"That doesn't mean we can't hold him up." Professor McGonagall agreed "And his name is Voldemort, Filius. You might as well use it. He's going to try to kill you either way."

With that, she turned to the stone wall behind her and raised her wand high above her head, pointing it at the direction above the main entrance. 

"Piertotum Locomotor." She said the incantation.

Immediately, the stone statues with armors carved in the high wall above and besides the giant door came to life. They jumped off their post and landed with a thundering noise on the ground, forming a line and marching towards the woman who conjured them. The army of giant stone warriors stopped in front of Professor McGonagall, awaiting a command.

"Hogwarts is threatened!" Her voice was loud and clear, piercing through the air like a sharp knife "Man the boundaries and protect us! Do your duty to our school!"

As the statues thundered past her and Molly Weasley who looked extremely dumbfounded, she watched them go with evident pleasure in her eyes.

"I've always wanted to use that spell."

Several yards away from Professor McGonagall was Professor Flitwick, his face grim with determination, his wand raised and held tightly in his small hand. Other staff members stepped up to assist him with this powerful spell, all wands were raised high. Together, they conjured the incantation in hope to defend their beloved school and home from the Dark wizards outside.

"Protego Maxima. Finato Duri. Repello Inimicum."

From afar, on a cliff facing the Hogwarts castle, Voldemort and his close minions watched as the magical shield bloomed above the castle and slowly covered the ground, Neville Longbottom and his fellow DA members stationing the wooden bridge, as small yet strong as little ants, and the giant stone warriors taking over the viaduct leading to the front of the castle. The Dark Lord looked down at the school he used to attend and their loyalty to the dead Dumbledore with cold pity in his red, snake-like eyes. 

"They never learn. Such a pity." He smiled in amusement, his eyes gleamed fiercely with violence "Begin."