s i x t y - f i v e

Dawn broke through the night like a sharp blade, the skyline was as red as the blood spilt in the battle. It wasn't over yet, everyone knew that, from the students and teachers of Hogwarts, the Order of Phoenix to the lines of Death Eaters. They all knew the people who were loyal to Dumbledore would never yield to Voldemort, but still as the daylight broke the darkness of the night, the Dark Lord and his followers marched towards the castle with Hagrid as a hostage and a limp Harry in his arms.

"Who's that Hagrid's carrying?" Ginny asked Neville, they were the first ones to go out of the castle "Neville, who is that?"

Neville didn't dare to answer, he already had an idea who it was and it didn't sound good. Others began to spill out of the wrecked school, all beaten and battered and covered in dirt. They looked at the horde of people in black robes going towards them, then Hagrid and the small figure in his arms, then they drew a sharp breath. They all knew who it might be.

"What's going on here, Neville?" Arthur Weasley asked.

Neville couldn't bear the look on Ginny's face, or anyone's face, and looked down, limping slightly to adjust his posture. The Death Eaters spread out and formed in front of them, all smiling cruelly as Hagrid was silently crying over the dead body he was carrying. Voldemort was standing right in front of all followers, his red eyes showed nothing but cruel happiness and violence. His snake, Nagini, hissing next to him.

"Behold, Nagini!" He spoke to her "Our work is done."

Everyone knew what that meant. They all looked at the body Hagrid was carrying. It was Harry. Dead.

"No..." Ginny cried "No!"

She tried to run towards Voldemort, towards Harry, but her father stepped in between and held her back, letting her struggle and cry in his embrace. 

"Silence!" Voldemort pointed his wand to the sky and a loud crack echoed through the ground "Stupid girl. You cry for that?" He pointed at Harry "Tell me. These last few hours, as you collected the dead and tended your wounded, was he by your side?"

No one said anything as the red eyes scanned them.

"While your hands ran dark with this blood of mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, his were clasped in prayer, but it was a prayer for one and one only. While you battled courageously, until you could no longer will yourself to stand, he had long since fallen to his knees. While you cursed me until your voices grew ragged, he begged me for mercy in a voice as meek as a child's." He said "So do not cry for that. He's not worthy of your tears. And do not despair of his betrayal. You were never in his heart. Not for one single solitary beat."

"Liar!" Ron shouted.

Voldemort flicked his wand at Ron and he dropped down to his knees, his face grimaced in pain. The Dark Lord's voice grew darker, his eyes grew fiercer, everyone's blood turned cold.

"Did you not hear me? Harry Potter is dead!" He bellowed "From this day forward, you put your faith in me or suffer the consequences. Harry Potter is dead! Now is the time to declare yourself."

Draco looked up to see his parents calling for him from the other side of the battle field, hesitating. Something deep inside screamed at him, telling him not to move an inch. But then he looked at his mother, calm and quiet but absolute, and he didn't want the Dark Lord to hurt her. He sure didn't care about his father, but his mother was different, and he ducked his head as he slowly moved towards his mother, avoiding the murderous stares from the Hogwarts students.

"He saved your life." Ron muttered darkly as he walked past him.

"Well done, Draco." Voldemort said "Well done."

Draco and his mother walked back to the back of the group, leaving his father at the front with the Dark Lord. Then, as everyone was silent, Neville limped forward painfully on his injured leg, his hand clutched the Sorting Hat. Hermione shook her head and cried, Ron's mouth was agape and everyone else was watching in disbelief. They never took him for that kind of person before.

"Well, I must say, I'd hoped for better." Voldemort said and his Death Eaters laughed "And who might you be, young man?"

"Neville Longbottom." The Death Eaters laughed again, this time Bellatrix Lestrange was the loudest.

"Well, Neville, I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks." Voldemort said.

"I'd like to say something." Neville said, looking straight in the Dark Lord's eyes.

"Very well, Neville." Voldemort didn't seem happy, but he restrained himself "I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."

Neville looked down, and to nobody in certain, he spoke up. 

"It doesn't matter that Harry is gone." He said.

"Stand down, Neville." Seamus shouted angrily.

"People die everyday." Neville said louder, and he turned back to face his friends "Friends. Family. Yeah, we lost Harry tonight. But he's still with us, in here." He put his hand on his heart "And so is Fred, and Remus, and Tonks, and all of them. They didn't die in vain." Then he turned to the Death Eaters and Voldemort who were smiling madly "But you will. Because you're wrong. Harry's heart did beat for us. All of us..."

"Well I guess I need a better persuasion." Voldemort said.

Suddenly, they heard a loud 'caw' from the sky. A large, dark raven soared out from behind the castle and landed in between the two factions, everyone's eyes followed the swift motion of the bird. As soon as it touched the ground, it turned into a little girl. She looked different with her hair flying in the wind, her clothes torn and ragged and stained with blood, her eyes hollowed and emotionless, they still recognized her.

"November?" Ginny stepped up for a better look.

It was November. She disappeared months ago, they had never heard anything from her, they tried to look for her everywhere, and now here she was, standing right in front of them, looking like they had never knew each other. Draco, hearing the mention of her name, made his way through the Death Eaters to the front only to see her with her back at him, facing the Hogwarts people. 

"Beautiful, isn't she?" Voldemort stroke her hair "Stubborn, she was, but not for long. Her loyalty could never fight me."

"You used the Imperius Curse on her." Hermione gritted her teeth, stepping up next to Neville with Ron.

"Indeed, I did as a motivation." He smiled "I didn't have to, but I must show her how powerful we can be when we are united."

"Why?" Hermione asked.

"Because she's my beautiful, talented, little daughter." He said "Now as I said, declare yourself, or face your fate."

"She will never hurt us." Ron said.

"You're right, she will not. She is your friend. That's why..." He slowly turned to look at her, and November slowly jabbed her wand at her own neck, her eyes still held no emotions "...she's going to kill herself instead."

At this state, Draco couldn't restrain himself anymore. He broke free from his mother's tight grip and ran towards her. She was going to perform the Killing Curse on herself, he would never allow that to happen. He sprinted towards her, his hand grabbed her wrist and pointed the wand away from her, just in time before she finished the incantation and a flash of green light fired from her wand, flying up into the air. 

"I know you're still in there, Nov, don't do this." He pleaded.

She looked forward, her face showed no emotions, but a single teardrop slipped out from the corner of her eye and rolled down her pale cheek. She could hear him, but she couldn't fight the force pinning her deep down in her mind. She couldn't reach out to him, or to command her limbs to do her will. 

The Dark Lord got angry. He raised his wand, pointing at the couple. Draco stepped in between Voldemort and November, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy stepped forward. Just then, Harry woke up and rolled out of Hagrid's arms. Draco tossed him his wand and ran towards the castle with the rest of the students.

And the battle continued.