s i x t y - t h r e e

"Well well, what brings you here, Potter?" 

Harry's hand retreated from Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem in a box in front of him and slowly looked over his shoulder. Stood there with wands pointed at Harry's chest were Draco Malfoy, Blaise Zabini and Gregory Goyle of House Slytherin with hatred oozing from their hissing lips and scowling face. There they were, at the end of the journey, face to face once again in the Room of Requirement, one from Dumbledore's army and one from Voldemort's army. But they all wanted the same thing: they wanted to live.

"I could ask you the same." Harry said.

"I virtually lived here last year. Remember?" Draco smirked.

"I remember."

"You have something of mine. I'd like it back." Draco said, gesturing to his wand in Harry's pocket.

"What's wrong with the one you have?" Harry asked.

"It's my mother's." Draco studied the wand in his hand "It's very powerful, but it's not the same. It doesn't... understand me. Know what I mean?"

Harry watched him, his eyes glued to the blond boy's face. Somehow, a flicker of pain appeared, then vanished. Somehow, Harry felt like he could read Draco. He seemed more vulnerable than he looked. He seemed concerned, and Harry knew exactly what he was concerned about. Or who he was concerned about. 

"Why didn't you tell her?" Harry confronted him "Bellatrix. You knew it was me. But you didn't say anything."

"What about you?" Draco gritted his teeth, he seemed to think of another thing "You said she was safe. Where is she? Where is November?"

Harry was right, Draco's first and ultimate concern in Hogwarts had always been November Avery. He could remember the night he was held captive at the Malfoy's manor and faced Draco in the same room as Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange with Ron by his side. He could recall every single word Malfoy had whispered to him when his face was close enough to know the swollen faced boy was Harry Potter. No sound was heard, but he could understand every word.

"Is she safe?" And all he did was a slight nod.

He didn't know then that November was tortured for information about him. He didn't know then that she was taken to a place who knew where. 

"She disappeared for months." For one second, Harry felt sympathetic towards Draco "I didn't know. I'm sorry."

"Of course you didn't know." Draco growled "Give me my wand."

"No, I don't think so." Harry said firmly "Besides, its allegiance is to me now. If you want it, you'll have to win it back. Perhaps even kill me."

"Come on Draco, don't be a prat." Goyle grunted "Just do it."

Draco locked eyes with Harry, his hand twitched. Then as he was about to attack, he spot a silhouette far behind Harry. Before he could react, a ball of scarlet light fired from the person's wand and knocked his wand out of his grip. Hermione ran towards Harry, Goyle stepped out and shouted the Killing Curse, only for his dumb hand to point towards the diadem instead and sent it flying and spinning in the air. Ron ran out and fired endless spells he could think of at Goyle for attacking Hermione, but the Slytherins managed to dodge and ran. Ron chased after the three, still angry, and went out of sight. 

Harry's eyes flew up only to catch a glimpse of the diadem before it bounced out of his sight. He turned around to see Blaise aiming at him uncertainly, and he knocked out the boy's wand with the incantation he used the most. Blaise ran after his friends. Hermione came into sight and they shared looks as the walls started to groan and tilted. They ran.

"Did you see where it went? The diadem?" Hermione asked.

"It's gone. We'll never--"

The diadem dropped from the sky and bounced down the isle in front of them, as if luck was on their side. They ran after it. Harry nearly got a hold of the diadem when a tower of old, mouldy books spilt in front of him. Hermione jumped over the book barrier and reached out for it, soon it was in her tight grip. Harry came, out of breath. 

"Well done." He said "Let's find Ron and get out of here."

Devil speaks, Ron came running towards them, behind him was a river of scarlet flame, flowing in anger, scorching everything on its way. 

"Run!" Ron shouted "Goyle's set the bloody place on fire!"

They dashed through the remaining, unburnt isles as the walls of junk and books turned to ashes behind them. The flame continued to chase them tirelessly, drawing closer and closer, so close they could feel the heat scorching the air around them, their skin screaming. No matter which way they turned, it was there, nipping at their heels. 

"Split up!" Harry shouted.

It didn't help much. As they split ways, the flame divided. It mutated into different beasts, the fiery serpent hissing and slithering behind Harry, the chimera roaring after Hermione and the dragon soared right behind Ron. They bumped into each other again as they arrived from different paths, glancing around frantically for a way out. The flame was still roaring, coming at them from all directions. They had no escape. Harry caught sight of a dozen of old, ragged broomsticks nearby and snatched them, throwing one over to Ron and one to Hermione.

"Here! Take one!"

Hermione put the diadem on top of her head for safe-keeping as they all mounted the broomsticks, their eyes on the rearing flame. They took off just in time as the three great flaming beasts met and engulfed the spot they just stood less than a second ago. They heard a scream and looked down only to witness Goyle being devoured by the roaring scarlet river. 

"Serves him right." Ron sneered.

"Come on! This way!" Hermione said.

"Wait!" Harry shouted, his kindness took the best of him "What about Malfoy and Blaise?"

"He's joking, right?" Ron turned to Hermione.

Well, if you think about it, Ronald Weasley, Malfoy's and Blaise's girlfriends were Harry's few best friends. Harry wouldn't like to see the look on November's face when she knew her boyfriend was dying and he wouldn't save him. That was if November was still alive, and Harry liked to think that she was. Besides, Draco saved him once, it would only be fair if he saved him.

He spotted them, clinging on top of a fragile, crumbling tower surrounded by fire. Harry whipped around and jetted towards the two Slytherin boys. Ron shook his head and followed, behind him was Hermione.

"If we die for them, I'll kill you, Harry!" He bellowed.

They swooped down, Harry grabbed Malfoy's arm and Ron grabbed Blaise's, the tower crumbled instantly. They swiftly turned towards the opened wooden door, their eyes squinting to see Hermione's beacon through the clouds of smoke.

The trio, Draco and Blaise tumbled out of the room, the flame still roaring behind him. The diadem spun crazily on the floor and Harry grabbed it as quickly as he could as if it would run away from them again. Hermione tossed him the basilisk fang she used to destroy the Hufflepuff cup. He stared down at the diadem, reading the words edged on its silver base: Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure, and without hesitation, he drove the fang into it.

Harry grimaced and roared in agonic pain, he gripped the basilisk fang so hard his knuckles turned white and the fang crumbled. He laid on the floor, gasping desperately. Ron kicked the diadem, sending it back into the Room of Requirement and the door re-sealed, followed by an explosion. 

That was it. Five down, one more to go.