CHAPTER 8 - PREJUDICE

Azren headed straight to her parent’s home office as it was what their helper informed her to do. The room was bright and neatly arranged. It’s painted with off-white and a chandelier hung in the middle of the wooden ceiling. Two wooden tables stood across each other—her parents’ separate workplaces. And near the door are black expensive couches and a uniquely designed coffee table that’s made of narra. Her parents were seated beside each other and without waiting to be told, she sat right across them after greeting them with a kiss on their cheeks.

She’s close to them. All of them, actually. They’re not the typical rich parents who likes to rule their children’s lives. Azren and her brothers are free to do whatever they want—except for one thing. And that is what she’ll be scolded about.

“Is it true that you’re seeing someone from Cagayan de Oro?”

“Yes, Dad.” She answered nonchalantly.

“And if Hadleigh didn’t see you, we wouldn’t know.”

She released a tired sigh. “You’ll eventually know. Of course, if our relationship was serious, I’ll definitely introduce him to the family someday.”

“Which I will not allow!” Her father’s voice thundered. “I will never accept him, Azren.”

Tss. I know that there’s no need to defend myself since I already decided to end my friendship with Uriah but I’m really pissed with this prejudice that I cannot fathom!

“Why? Because he’s from Mindanao? Because you think he’s poor and uneducated? Well, he’s not, Dad.”

“It doesn’t matter! You can’t date him or anyone from that island! Especially, Cagayan de Oro!”

Her brows furrowed. She wanted to yell back but she didn’t want to disrespect him. “Why, Dad? What is it about Mindanao and Cagayan de Oro that you hate so much? Please, make me understand.”

“Just do as I say, Azren! Didn’t I already tell you? That place is dangerous! If you continue to date him, he’ll bring you there one day and I won’t allow that!”

“But, Dad!”

“Azren!” Her mother, who doesn’t resemble her in any way, finally interjected. They’re both sophisticated and beautiful, but their profiles are not alike. The only thing they have in common is their height of 5’7. “Just listen. This is for your own good.”

She scoffed. “Which I don’t get. But what if he decides to stay here for me? Will you still break us apart?”

“Yes!” Her father replied sternly. “Understand it, Azren. The point is, you’re not allowed to be with anyone from that city!”

“That city? Am I getting this right? You don’t really hate the whole island, do you? You just hate CDO.”

Bull’s-eye. His change of expression just proved her hypothesis. If she read it right, his anger earlier was momentarily overthrown with shock and fear.

“You’re wrong, Azren.” Her mother contradicted. “You can’t be with anyone from that island. Your friend Ramona was an exception because she was born and raised here. But if she ever plans on bringing you and your friends anywhere in Mindanao, then don’t waste your energy in asking our permission because you will never get it.”

Unbelievable! “Even with Gavin?”

“Don’t use him. It won’t work.”

She scoffed. “Yeah, whatever. I can’t believe you guys. You’re both smart people but your reasons are all unacceptable. Give me a valid one and I’ll shut up.”