CHAPTER 10 - APPRECIATE

"Logan, please tell them I've landed."
Arriving in black crop-top, high-waist denim ripped jeans, white sneakers, hoop earrings, and brown Raybans while dragging a black large luggage, Azren strode towards the exit of Laguindingan International Airport.

"Sure! Keep me updated!"

"Thanks. Bye for now."

Okay. This is it. I’m finally meeting my other relatives. So there’s Noelle Sabina, my only sister, who’s recently turned twenty-one last January, and my brother Augustus Jude who’s turning nineteen this July. They're both studying but Sabina will be finishing this March and I'm looking forward into joining her graduation day. But the question is, will they welcome me? I'm really hoping that knowing the truth since their childhood is enough reason for them to accept me especially that it’s easier for them to adjust unlike me who's still coping up with this stabbing reality.

Also, will my relatives welcome me? Hmm. Never mind. That's the least of my worries, though.

She easily spotted Melanie behind the barricade. She's wearing a plain yellow V-neck, black shorts, Birkenstock and a blue Nike cap, making her look five years youngers than her actual age. She welcomed Azren in a tight hug and showered her kisses on the cheek without bothering about the tears of both longing and joy rolling down her cheeks.

"Hush, Mama." Azren soothed as she wiped Melanie’s tears dry.

“I'm just so happy that you're finally here.” She sobbed and dried Azren’s cheeks in return. “Come and meet your siblings.”

Three people patiently waited for them two meters away and despite the hesitation, Azren managed to greet them with a friendly hi.

"Hello." They greeted back in unison.

“This is Ren, your sister.” Turning back to Azren, she said, “Ren, these are your siblings, Sab and Gus.”

Ren? That’s a cute nickname. I could imagine my toddler self. "I'm happy to finally meet you." She crumbled the hesitation and gave both of them a hug.

"We are too, Ate." Sabina's voice cracked.

"Welcome home, Ate Ren." Gus expressed honestly.

Home? Will I really feel at home with them? I hope so.

"And this is your Uncle Gary." Melanie introduced, referring to her husband.

Azren went to him and also offered a hug. "Nice to meet you, Uncle."

Before driving straight to Cagayan de Oro with the family’s black Toyota Hilux, Melanie brought them to a sea-side restaurant called Panagatan which was located in the town of Opol, Misamis Oriental. It’s literally built along the highway and the main restaurant’s foundation are literally submerged underwater.

"How do you find it, Ate Ren?" Gus asked, while they waited for their orders to be served.

"I like the ambiance, Gus. It’s provincial and luxurious and luxurious at the same time. And the sea breeze and the band," she smiled. "Both soothing and increasing my appetite."

"Are you fond of music, Ate?" Sab curiously asked.

"Very much. I think we all are, though."

"Yes, but I mean… do you play instruments? Or sing?"

"Yeah. I play the keyboard." She admitted shyly.

"Wow! I guess it's safe to say that we shouldn't be surprised since the Burgoses are inclined to music." Sabina shared giddily.

"Whoa! So, this explains my extreme interest in learning the keyboards."

"I bet you could sing, too."

She answered Gus with another shy smile and a little nod. "What do you play? And do you sing, too?"

Sabina answered quickly. "I'm good with the guitar and piano. Gus here is best with the drums."

"Let's play together some time! You on the keyboards and then duet with Ate Sab."

"Sure! Do you have a music room?"

"Yup," he laughed. "We had to have one."

This is wonderful. We have things in common! So I guess I'm gonna have a great time with my siblings here.

"What's your genre, Ate?"

"Acoustic. But I like slow rock too."

"That explains your hair color." Sabina commented.

Azren chuckled and pulled on her loosely braided, waist-long hair that she recently dyed into an ombre of black and gray. But she only did that after her resignation. "No, I just really dreamed of this hair color but I couldn't do it when I was still studying."

"You still look gothic, though," added Gus.

Well, he might be right. I've always liked dark things. Most of my clothes are of dark colors but there are three things that I will never do to my body—wear eyeliner, wear a lot of gothic bracelets, and get a tattoo. The only jewelry that I'm even wearing aside from my hoop earrings is the anklet that Uriah gave. Yes, I still have it because I value it. For how can't you value something that was made and intended for you, right?

"You look so cool and pretty." Sab complimented.

"Thank you. By the way, what are your courses again?"

"I'm taking up Business Administration while Ate Sab is taking up Bachelor in Music Major in Pedagogy."

"Really? You have Music School here?"

Sabina beamed. "Yup! There are actually two schools offering music courses. Lourdes College and Liceo de Cagayan University. I'm studying in Liceo."

Liceo. The name echoed inside her head. Isn’t that where Uriah studied?

***

As she enjoyed the clean and green scenery of the province on their drive to the city, she thought about how her fate twisted. All these years, she was deprived from visiting Mindanao and yet here she is now with her biological mother and two other siblings. She was brought here by the appalling truth of being some other woman's daughter. That she’s also a Kagay-anon. That half of her belonged here. And that she should also spend some parts of her life living here.

They reached the De Gracia residence by 8:00 PM. To her astonishment, their house is bigger and well-built than she’d expected. A black gate was manually opened by the helper who’s in her mid-fifties. Coming out of the vehicle, Azren notices the separate pedestrian gate. The house is fully concrete and painted with earth colors. A huge wooden door led to a vast living room with two long couches, two smaller couches, large coffee table, and contemporary TV cabinet. Across it is the wooden stairs going to the second floor where the four of the six bedrooms are located. Going further into the first floor, behind the staircase is a tinted glass door that led to the soundproofed Music Room. And inside are different musical instruments—piano, keyboards, drum set, acoustic and electric guitars, and a complete recording set. Walking past that is the ten-seater dining area also made of woods and next to it is their everyday kitchen. They have a second kitchen, though. Bigger and has more equipment and space for cooking since Melanie’s job is catering service. And they also have a walk-in pantry.

Finally, on the right side of the house is an open patio where they usually hold large family gatherings. And behind it is their laundry area.

“I love your place, Ma. Very minimalistic and low-maintenance.” Azren commented as they ascended to the second floor.

“Thanks, Ren. That’s actually what we’re going for. Less time required for maintaining cleanliness.”

They have six rooms in total. One for Gus, one for Sab, one master's bedroom, and three extra rooms. One room downstairs is occupied by the helper Nora and now Azren will occupy the last vacant room upstairs. The remaining one is currently used as a stockroom.

Azren’s room was simple. Painted with white, with a double bed, built-in closet, air-conditioner, and bedside table. The size is smaller than her room in Manila but it’s definitely bigger than a usual room. But most of all, she appreciated it’s minimalistic style.

"We have separate toilet and bath here upstairs. You'll be using those with your siblings since your uncle and I have ours inside room."

Oh. I'm not really used to sharing a bathroom but this should be fine. Besides, I wouldn’t want to pressure them with meeting my lifestyle back home. Most importantly, I came here prepared to experience their lifestyle and culture.

“I’m sorry for the tiny bed, though. I’m sure yours is bigger in Manila. I’ll find a bigger one soon.”

“No, Ma. This is fine,” she replied reassuringly. “I don’t move much when I sleep, anyways.”

"Oh, if you say so. But if you need anything, don’t hesitate to tell me.”

She smiled. “Thanks, Ma.”

“By the way, the day after tomorrow is Bella’s birthday. She’s your cousin Hector’s daughter,” she informed as Azren dug up for her black flip-flops.
"Is he my first cousin?"

"Yup. Your uncle Ben's eldest son."

She settled on her bed and started removing her sneakers to replace them with the flip-flops. "How many of my cousins already have children or married?"

"Just Hector. He's your oldest cousin too." She answered, sitting beside her.

"How old is he?"

"He'll be twenty-seven next month. He and his wife, Sarah, are married for already three years now but Bella is only turning one."

New people and relatives to meet. Hector the cousin, Sarah the wife, and Bella the daughter. Wow. I didn’t expect to meet my cousins this soon. "Okay, Ma. I'll go."

She chuckled. "Of course you will. It is when they will all meet you. The whole of Burgos Family will be there. Bella is our first grandchild so it's very special."

"That sounds so sweet." She smiled. "I'll buy her a gift. Would you mind accompanying me tomorrow?"

"I'd love to come! So, we could bond, too."

"How about Sab and Gus? Are they free?"

Melanie was uncertain so they went to ask the two who were watching some animated movie in the loving room.

"I'm available the whole morning!" Gus announced excitedly.

"Count me in!" Sab committed right away.

"Perfect!" Azren turned to Melanie who’s happiness reflected in her eyes.

"Oh, Ren, in afternoon, I'll be shopping for the ingredients of Bella's dishes, so I doubt if I could accompany you."

"You'll cater?" She nodded. "Can I come with you?"

"Ate, are you sure?" Sabina asked worriedly. "Hubert's going with her, so it's okay if you won't come."

"Who's Hubert?"

"Our second cousin who's the son of Mama's first cousin," Gus filled. "He assists Mama with the catering when Ate Sab and I aren't available."

"Oh. So, are you guys also busy tomorrow afternoon?" They nodded in unison. "Then I'll go with her. I'll help them. It's really okay."

"I'm not sure if you're used to it," Melanie raised.

"Trust me, it's fine. I do help with our groceries in Manila."

"Ate, don't be offended. But you're gonna shop inside a local public market. Not a mall." Sabina bit her lip. "Filthy, crowded, noisy… wet market."

"Oh. Um… I think I’ll be fine."

"Have you gone to public markets, Ren?"

"Not yet," she chuckled shyly. "But I'd like to go. Let’s say… it’s an experience that I’m looking forward to."

I get it. Even if they don't know how rich my parents are, they must be thinking that I dislike their way of living since I grew up into a well-off family.

***

After purchasing Bella's gift, Melanie and Azren returned home to prepare for the grocery shopping. Hubert arrived and they were introduced to each other. He’s as tall as her, moreno, and handsome with a semi bald haircut. He and Sab are of the same age and he's the son of her Auntie Riz who is Melanie’s closest cousin and best-friend.

He drove them to Cogon Market which is the largest public market in the city. Usual scenes can be seen such as the side vendors and the loud revving of engines from both public and private vehicles. As Hubert looked for a parking space, the two made their way to the ground floor of a purple building. Observing her mother, Azren concluded that Melanie is a regular customer as she was often prioritized by the vendors, hence, their early departure.

"How was the public market experience?" Sab opened over dinner.

"It was fine. I didn't do much. I just helped with picking up which items to buy and helped in carrying them."

“Were you not bothered with the smell?”

She smiled guiltily. “A little. Wearing a mask helped, though. And I won’t mind going there again.”

"Oh. It’s nice to know that you’re open to these new experiences, Ate. By the way, since Bella is just turning a year old, Kuya Hector and Ate Sarah prepared a program for us adults. And it's been the family’s tradition to play and sing live. You know, like a band. Gus and I thought… well, if it's okay with you… that the three of us should play."

Oh, definitely! "Sure! What are we singing?"

Gus grinned. Even their parents too. "You choose and we'll rehearse tonight."

"Okay." Azren winked.

"Great! The whole clan will be surprised!" Gus exclaimed excitedly.

Will they welcome me the way my siblings and Hubert did? I hope so. Because it would be a relief to feel that I'm no stranger to them.

"Are Hector's in-laws coming over too?"

"Only Sarah’s immediate family since her relatives are living in Valencia City, Bukidnon. And that’s three hours land travel from here."

Oh, well. I'm not used to performing in front of a crowd but I'm gonna take this challenge. I don't wanna let anyone down. Not Mom and Dad, not Mama, not my siblings, and not myself. I am not gonna try to impress them but for a first meeting, I'd want them to see something in me that they would appreciate.