CHAPTER 11 - PROOF

"I feel so nervous for later." She shared when she called Logan around 1:00 PM.

"Ate, you can do it. You've performed before."

"Yes, but this is different. My audience are the relatives that I am just about to meet!"

"Just be yourself. You'll do good. And ask someone to take a video," he demanded. "Why do you seem like in a hurry?"

"My siblings and I will be rehearsing again and by 4:00 PM, we'll head to Hector's house," she explained as she ran downstairs. She’s all dressed and ready to go in a denim high-waist shorts, white short-sleeved crop-top, and thong flats.

"Bye, then. Gotta hit the gym."

They reached Hector's house and she tensed realizing that there's no turning back from meeting the rest of her Burgos relatives. She got out of the pick-up and helped in unloading the last batch of the dishes for the celebration. While doing so, a robust, tall, white, and handsome guy approached them and offered to help. He's in a jersey shorts and blue T-shirt, and for some reason, he looked familiar to her.

"Is this the last batch?" He addressed Gus. And upon noticing Azren’s presence, he exclaimed, "Hold up. Is this who I think it is?"

"Yes, Kuya!" Sabina answered eagerly. "This is Ate Azren." Then she turns to her. "This is Hector, Bella's young dad."

"Finally!" Azren almost tripped when Hector suddenly hugged her. "Welcome home, Ren! We've been waiting for years to meet you!"

This is how he’s eager to meet me? Her eyes welled up. Gosh, Azren, don’t cry! She sniffed and broke from him. She met Hector’s eyes and laughed shyly. "Sorry for being so emotional. I just… didn't expect that I'd be welcomed this way."

He kept one arm around her and rubbed her shoulder. "Ren, you're our family. Of course you are welcome here."

"Thank you, Kuya."

After setting the buffet table, Melanie called Azren and led her inside the kitchen to meet Hubert's mom. The petite, round faced, wavy haired, and regal Riz Burgos Manalo.

"Such a beautiful, fine lady." She commented and folded Azren into her arms.

"Thank you, Auntie. Got the looks from Mama."

But she didn’t, actually. In fact, she got more features from Albert’s side. In fact, she closely resembles her one and only Auntie Arissa. Flawless fair-skin with pinkish, full lips; dark brown eyes that's almost looking black; perfectly shaped bushy black eyebrows, strong jaws, and intense eyes. The only features she inherited from Melanie are her curly lashes and wavy hair.

"This is Harmony," she referred to a lady who's the female version of Hubert.

"Hello."

"Hi, Ren." She offered with a reluctant hug.

"Is Hubert your brother?"

"Yup. Three years older than him."

"Oh! So, we're of the same age."

She chuckled. "Exactly. I'm turning twenty-three this May and you on December."

"How'd you know that?"

She beamed. "Because we celebrate your birthday every eighth of December. Trust me. We always look forward to that day. It's why you're no stranger to us."

"Is that true, Ma?"

Melanie nodded and a surge of warmth filled Azren’s heart and she wanted to burst into tears.