EPILOGUE

"Dude, you need someone new to be busy with. Party up. Look for someone to talk to. Chat with strangers. Or if you want to be a good man, read some self-help books." These were Johnny's suggestions to Uriah as they were chilling inside CDO Bar.

"Yeah, Ice. Don't be defeated by your emotions. Your grades are already failing. Do you want to fail and be left behind?" The pretty pixie-haired Sharon added.

"Your girlfriend left you, will you let your diploma leave you, too? Get up. She's not the only woman in this world." Pointed Mildred, his soft-spoken, beautiful, morena friend.

"You know, I agree with Johnny's suggestion. You should find a stranger to talk to."

His brow raised at Carlos. "And if I do that, or any of Johnny's suggestions, will it do me good?"

"Dude, just try it. You won't lose anything. Just to divert your attention." Mildred seconded.

"I don't wanna use anyone just to cover the hole that Olivia left, okay? That's what she did to me. I was her cover up! I believed in a lie for more than a year! Fuck!"

"Ice! Chill!" Sharon held him in place.

Johnny tapped his shoulder. "Calm down, dude. Look for some stranger to chat with. Someone from Visayas or Luzon. Someone that you know that you'll never fall for. Or download apps where you can meet people all over the globe."

"That you'll only be communicating through the phone." Sharon added to end. "Do it for fun. You don't want to use a girl? Then don't court her. Just befriend her."

"Correct. I have a cousin in Manila. I'll ask her to find someone for you."

"You guys are crazy. What if I fall for her? Our distance will only frustrate me and I’ll get hurt again. So, the answer is no!" Those were his final words before draining the shot of tequila that he was holding.

Their topic was then diverted to the business plan that they’re ironing for the end of the semester. They’re working as a group and they’re also close friends, hence, the effective teamwork.

"Don't forget the cash flow, Johnny. I'll have it on Monday." Sharon reminded.

"Why is she not answering?" Carlos suddenly blurted to his phone. "Better make the call."

Uriah’s eyes caught him dialing a certain Ramona and when he recalled that he has a cousin of the same name, he mentally cursed knowing what his friend was trying to do. But he didn't reprimand him because he didn't want them to think that he’s getting his hopes up. Besides, even if he successfully give him some stranger’s number, he was sure that he wouldn’t contact her.

"Hello, Mons?" Carlos greeted happily and left for some privacy.

Uriah woke with hung over at ten o’clock the next day and immediately went downstairs to eat. Returning upstairs, he slipped into their bathroom for some warm bath. Before he slipped into new clothes, he remembered checking his phone that he forgot to charge last night. It only had forty percent battery life left and he also noticed a text from Carlos. He opened it and shook his head in disbelief.

Carlos: Dude, here's her number! 09xxxxxxxxx. Hahaha. One day you'll thank me and my cousin for this.

"What a stubborn creature." He ignored it and plugged his phone to charge.

For three days he forgot about the number for he was busy with his studies and basketball practices for their upcoming basketball meet. But it was the boring Saturday of September 3, 2016 that changed his mind and decided to finally text whoever it was that Carlos recommended. He considered that maybe in some way she could help him forget. That she could be an effective distraction.