CHAPTER 20 - I'D RATHER

Brian shrieked and rushed to hug Azren. The rest followed with the same amount of eagerness, and, of course, Ramona, her BFF, hugged her the longest before turning to her cousin. Behind her was Phil and the tall and handsome Gavin. Azren called them and folded each into a hug before introducing Uriah to everyone.

"Is this already Cagayan de Oro?" Farrah glanced around.

"Not yet," replied Azren. "This is Laguindingan. It's a town here in Misamis Oriental."

"Aah…" They chorused.

"Yep. Let's move. The van's over there."

Azren rented a white Hi-Ace whose owner was Melanie’s friend. She designated Carlos as the driver but once they hit the road to Camiguin, she will takeover.

They first dropped by Carlos' place for lunch and for Ramona to visit her relatives. They were warmly welcomed. Ramona’s relatives prepared a lot for their lunch. To their delight, most dishes they prepared were seafood. Also, a jar of fresh Buko or young coconut served as their refreshment.

"Aren't we dropping by your place?" Asked Gavin when he joined her in getting more food from the table. The lunch was buffet style because the dining area couldn’t accommodate them all.

"Nope. But we will, once we return from the trip. Of course, I'd like you guys to meet my family."

He nodded and left ahead. Azren sighed.

I hope things go well for this trip. I know I’ve hurt you, Gavin. But if you truly love me, please understand my choices and respect my decisions. I don’t want to loose you.

She busted him a week ago—through phone call because she had no choice. He was still not over it, hence, Azren’s plan on talking to him once they get the chance.

The travel got more exciting when they finally rode the barge towards Camiguin Island. Everything’s new to her friends’ eyes that they took photos of anything that caught their attention. The nearing island, the deep blue water and whatnot.

"You're blooming. Happy with Ice?" Ramona said as they chatted by the railings. And, yes, she decided to call Uriah by his easier to pronounce name.

"I am. Have I told you that I bring him lunch every noon?"

"Really?" Surprised, she was. "You never do that."

"Yeah. I just tried and I liked doing it, so it went on."

"And does he appreciate it?"

"Of course. Who wouldn't?"

She nodded. "A question, Az. Aren't you bothered by how your family will take your relationship with Ice?"

"Hmm…" I trailed off. "Yes, the thought crosses my mind but I often ignore it. Only the present matters for now. All I could think about is that I'm happy when I'm with him."

"Oh. How long do you plan to stay here? Can you bear the distance when you get back to Manila?"

"Well… if we're sincere with each other then I believe that we'll succeed."

"Wow. You're up for a challenge, huh?"

“Hope I’m strong enough for it, you know.”

Ramona hummed and went quiet for a moment. When she spoke again, she confessed, “Gavin got mad with me.”

“Why?” She glanced at her friends who were sightseeing from the other end of the railing.

“Remember how they reacted about your relationship with Isaac? They questioned you, right?”