CHAPTER 25 - GUILT

"Az, your phone!"

Farrah groaned at ten o'clock the next day. Azren immediately rose from the bed and went outside. The sunlight stung her eyes.

"Bee…" she answered groggily.

"Louiza, why weren't you answering my calls?" He demanded frantically. "I've been calling you the whole night! What happened?"

She massaged her forehead in the attempt to lighten her heavy mind. "I left my phone in the room. Sorry."

Did I, really? I’m pretty sure I had with me even when the drinking started. Hmm. I probably dropped it and one of my friends delivered it to my room. I’ll ask later.

"You left it? And you didn't even think of checking it at least once? To at least inform me that you're too occupied to text?"

She started to speak again but he cut her off. He wasn’t angry but he was evidently annoyed and disappointed.

"Louiza, we agreed to always communicate. Please don't forget about our situation. Communication is all we have. Let's be consistent. Let's make this easy for the both of us."

She raked her hair and apologized regretfully.

"What happened?" He asked in a calmer tone.

"Please don't get mad."

He sighed. "So, what happened?"

She gnawed her lip trying to hold the tears threatening to escape as she recalled everything she’d said to Gavin and for what had happened between them.

Should I tell him? It won’t be right, right? He has to hear it in person. I want to tell him in person! But when is that? When can I fly back to Mindanao?

Her mind was a storm but for now, she went for safer answer. "I got drunk and decided to sleep."

"You promised not to drink too much."

"I know. The last time I drank was on my birthday," she defended.

"Which was just a month ago," he retorted, emphasizing the fifth word.

"Ice, I'm hungover. I'm hungry and my head hurts. Let's fight some other time."

He sighed again. "Fine. Call me when you're better."

"Thanks." I love you and I'm sorry for kissing someone else, she wanted to add. Thinking about last night made her recall of the days when she was in love with Gavin. If only making out with him happened then, I would feel elated more than worried. I have a boyfriend now and though what happened was unintentional, it can still be considered as cheating. "Oh, Azren. Maybe you shouldn't make a big deal out of it. You were only making out."

"Everything okay?"

Her head whipped to Gavin who was holding a cup of coffee. She stared at him surprisingly with the strong desire to slap him for taking advantage of her drunkenness last night. He didn’t seem bothered. In fact, he even offered her his drink. And she couldn't speak.

"Did you… uh… fight?"

She started to walk away. She couldn’t look at him. She felt ashamed of herself.

How could I make out with my friend? How could I when I have a boyfriend who's done nothing but be loyal to me?

"Az!"

She walked faster, fuming with anger. For herself, for him, for the alcohol she let into her system and for the whole outing! And when he got ahold of her left arm and made her look at him. Out of fury, her right palm landed on his face.