Chapter 9

(WARNING: violence and homophobic slurs)

~ CONNOR ~

They went downstairs where his dad and his little brother were waiting, then he took a seat on his usual place. His dad cleared his throat before speaking.

"Have you spoken to him?" His dad said aloud, and Connor knew that he was talking to his mum.

"I did. In fact, he was revising when I came in his room. He had to stop because I came in--"

"You stopped him?" His dad asked her in a sort of threatening manner. She nodded her head in fear. She knew how manipulative her husband was.

"That's good. It wouldn't make much of a difference if he continued, anyway." His dad said, and Connor slowly slumped back on his seat. He knew exactly what his dad meant - he wasn't stupid unlike what his father thought.

"You know, you should just stop revising if nothing's coming in your little brain, anyway." He said quite angrily, and Connor could feel the tears threatening to fall. He gained a little courage and stopped them from falling.

"A warning from the school? I thought you were going to earn a scholarship in medicine? Don't tell me that you can't do it anymore!" His father continued blabbering, however, Connor refused to speak back. He knew that he wouldn't have a say in this argument, anyway. It would always be his father who would do all the talking, deciding, and whatever.

"It's just a warning, dear. It's nothing serious. It's just to remind us that he needs help in his studies." His mum pleaded, however, his dad still wasn't pleased.

"Just a warning? You're not going to take this seriously? Kelly, this could ruin our child's life! He would end up dead in the streets if we let his stupidity take the best of him."

"Honey, he's just a boy, leave him alone." His mum told her husband defensively.

"Sure, I will, once he tells me what he's hiding."

"What is he hiding?" His mum asked her husband, but he just went closer to his son.

"One teacher of yours talked to me today. She told me that you were failing and that you're gay. I went home to see that the failing part was true, but what about the other one?" He asked his son, who swallowed nervously.

"I'm asking you if this is a joke." His father asked him sternly, and he let out a slight whimper that was barely audible. "Are you gay?"

"Ummm...I--"

"Just answer the question, Connor."

"Uh, I--um, uh..."

"Just answer the bloody question, Connor."

"I--I--" He continued stuttering.

"JUST ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION!" His dad screamed at him, and he was beyond scared. He gathered up the courage to tell him the truth.

"I--I a-am." He stuttered.

"Kelly, honey, can you please lead Lewie to his bedroom?" He asked his wife, who immediately followed what he said even though she was reluctant to do so.

"Come on, let's go to your room." His dad said calmly, then they both went to his bedroom. Once they were there, his dad immediately gave him a painful slap on the face.

"Connor!" His mum screamed when she saw what happened. His dad was quick enough to close and lock his bedroom door. He started beating his own son up, even giving him a lecture on how stupid he was for failing school and being gay. He kept ranting about how he hated him so much, and it was all too painful to hear. All the words that other people used to judge him and made him feel inferior - all used by his father on one night. He was in pain - physically, emotionally and mentally.