Chapter 25

~ CONNOR ~

He put the rest of his stuff inside Brad's huge rucksack. So far, there were 2 sets of clothing, a bottle of water, Brad's phone charger and some snacks that he bought before he went home inside the huge bag. Right now, he was struggling to fit Brad's laptop, which contained all of his homework, inside it. Out of a sudden, Brad's mum came in his room, then she sat on his bed.

"Just stay safe, okay? We don't want you getting in trouble."

"Of course, mum. I'll be fine." Connor replied with a smile.

"Let me help you with that." She said as she grabbed the laptop and put it inside the rucksack with ease.

"Thank you, mum." Connor said as she zipped the bag close. She turned to face her son.

"Drive slow. If you need to rest, stop. And if things go wrong--"

"I'll call you to let you know what's going on." Connor told her as she kissed her son on the cheek.

"Look at you, Brad, all grown up at 17."

"Well, I wouldn't be this grown up without you." He said, then she reached out for a hug.

"Last week, I knew that you weren't quite feeling like your old, happy self. Aside from accomplishing your task in this roadtrip, I also want you to rediscover yourself and enjoy life. You're the best son that we could ask for." She told him, then Connor became all warmed up inside.

"You're the best mum I could ever ask for." He said, then they pulled apart. Don't worry - he loved his mum to bits, he just wanted to tell this to Brad's mum so that she'll believe that he's her son, and that moment will probably give her a good memory of her son, not that she lacked them.

She kissed him goodnight before leaving the room. He laid down on Brad's bed, sort of ready to go on an adventure tomorrow.

~ BRAD ~

He packed his things that night. He wasn't sure on what time they would go there, but he was certain that it would be in the afternoon, because (a) according to Kath, they should be there at night and (b) they were all too lazy to get out of bed so early in the morning.

He was ready. Ready to get out of here, ready to live his own life again and ready to witness things turn to normal.

He felt it again, though - the pain inside his heart which felt like a sharp needle poking it once in a while. He thought that it was because of how he will live things in this house.

Connor's going to live his own life - where his dad hated him, his brother ignored him, and only a handful of people love him. Connor lived a life which was far different and happier than his - why would he want to turn things to normal?

During Brad's 'stay' in the Ball household, he wasn't able to make Connor's home happier for him. It was still the same, nothing new. If anything, it's gotten more awkward and harsh.

And maybe that was exactly the reason why this stupid needle pricked him. He made Connor's life worse. He doesn't deserve it at all.

"Need any help?" Connor's mum asked him, and he shook his head no.

"Come on, don't go independent on me." She said as she went inside his room and lifted the duvet, revealing Connor's secret stuff. She pulled out the notebook then she gave it to him.